View Poll Results: Would you support a special levy on hunting/fishing gear

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 52.34%
  • No

122 47.66%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Would you guys be agreeable to paying a special tax, similar to the USA, on firearms, ammunition, reloading supplies, fishing gear, etc IF the revenue went into its own account and was dedicated for spending on provincial fish and wildlife management? Additionally, let’s assume all revenue from hunting, angling and trapping licenses went into this account.
    Last edited by 325; 01-06-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Probably not, only reason being I absolutely no faith that the funds would be used accordingly.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Keep in mind the USA has been doing this since 1937 with great success

No need for new taxes, just do the right thing with the taxes we already pay.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    No need for new taxes, just do the right thing with the taxes we already pay.
    I agree we are already overtaxed. However, it’s very easy for the province to cut wildlife funding with the current model. A dedicated account would be independent of provincial budgets, and provide reliable funding for wildlife management. This has been the model in the USA.

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

I already do every time I buy a license, tag or LEH. The government just needs to spend it on the area it is intended for rather than putting it into general revenue.
    Last edited by Grumpa Joe; 01-06-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

I would if they Guaranteed the government would keep their mitts off of it and that they also guaranteed to scientific wildlife management.
    There is no reason that BC can’t be the Serengeti of North America once again. This province needs to be restored to what it was back in the glory days of hunting. There is no excuse that it can’t be that way once again. We need a model from some of the US states that are doing extremely well.
    Last edited by Brew; 01-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

The trick is to recognize the nature of government and try to manage for that. They're not going to spend current taxes properly. The money you pay for tags and LEH isn't dedicated to anything. The idea is to create some sort of fund that is a voluntary/semi-voluntary tax that the government can't decide how to spend and can't divert.

It has worked in the US, but politicians (most notably the Clintons, from what I have heard) have tried to divert the funds to their own favourite projects. They would try to do that here as well. The idea of a dedicated fund is simple, and effective. The key ingredient, and the part that will be hard, is the nuts and bolts method of making it something government can't take control of.

One idea that occurs to me (might be very hard to get passed) is a tax credit for a donation to a standalone agency. Completely voluntary, but you get a tax credit that reduces your BC income tax if you give up to a certain amount to a specific agency. If government never touches the money they can't divert it.

Anyway, I'd pay the tax.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
    I already do every time I buy a license, tag or LEH. The government just needs to sped it on the area it is intended for rather than putting it into general revenue.
    ^^ This. I feel the exact same way. Another tax is not required. Proper allocation of what is already generated through licensing, LEH, etc. is what needs to be prioritized. That, and perhaps an increased mandate and larger C.O. role - give C.O.s a larger budget for their particular MUs to the benefit of wildlife management for example.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather see existing 'infrastructure / systems' used rather than creating something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
    I already do every time I buy a license, tag or LEH. The government just needs to sped it on the area it is intended for rather than putting it into general revenue.
    Perfect reply..our family can't afford the proposed increases in taxes this year.
    Steven