View Poll Results: Would you support a special levy on hunting/fishing gear

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 52.34%
  • No

122 47.66%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Re: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

In my mind it cant happen soon enough. So easy to bitch, so hard to find solutions. This would be a concrete, solid win for every BC resident, but hunters in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
    I already do every time I buy a license, tag or LEH. The government just needs to spend it on the area it is intended for rather than putting it into general revenue.
    Amen.......
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

To those who say they already pay from buying tags, licenses and LEH you do realize these are cheap in BC

maybe a start is these funds going towards wildlife and increasing the fees to match closer to other parts of North America?

Bet that would’ve met by the same resistance though

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Nailed it to the point.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    No need for new taxes, just do the right thing with the taxes we already pay.
    Nailed it to the point.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Would you guys be agreeable to paying a special tax, similar to the USA, on firearms, ammunition, reloading supplies, fishing gear, etc IF the revenue went into its own account and was dedicated for spending on provincial fish and wildlife management? Additionally, let’s assume all revenue from hunting, angling and trapping licenses went into this account.
    How many people actually read the initial post? The question was not just would you support the tax, it was would you support the tax IF it were dedicate for spending on provincial fish and wildlife management. It sounds like the vast majority are supportive of such a tax, just many are skeptical that it would work.

Since the majority of posters agree that we would pay for the tax if it could be dedicated, why don't we suggest some ways that we might be able to make it dedicated instead of just complaining that the government is too inefficient and will waste it.

For example, after reading the post about the Pittman Robertson Act, I find it interesting that it is Federal and that it takes cooperation between two levels of government to get money for projects. In other words, state projects need to be approved federally and if the feds tried to raid the fund, the states would be outraged and apply pressure on the feds to abide by the rules. This acts as a form of mutual accountability.

I think such a program would be a start in Canada, but it will take more than just that because there are 50 states that can apply that pressure vs. only 13 provinces and territories. It would be a lot harder for the feds to get consensus or a significant majority out of 50 states than 13 provinces/territories so we'd need some more accountability I think and I'm not sure what that would look like.

Can’t believe those who are asking to pay more tax.....you might rethink that soon after Trudeau and the GreenDPs start hiking the Fed/Prov taxes in near future to pay for all spending. Should come from the taxes we already pay. Easy enough....AB doesnt pay any Prov tax. If enviromemt and wildlife is so important to the Greens and the NDP it is time for them to “walk the talk” and reallocate a portion of the PST collected on sale of recreational items to wildlife management and habitat enhancement. Am all for it....but there’s no f’ing way I want to pay more taxes than I already do.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Hunter gatherer
    The smart vrs the what , someone with a different opinion is what. Hunters dole out lots of taxes every year. The extra fuel you burn ,hotels you stay in ,ammo ,equipment and so on . All these things are taxed ,if we didn't hunt those taxes would not be collected,instead it might be a Mexican holiday where all monies were spent elsewhere.

None of which you speak of go's to wildlife initiatives, think about it.
    And the point I was trying to make is that the from taxes that are collected more should be allocated to wildlife . Doubling the cost of tags would not be out of line either,they are cheep but would the money go where it's needed or where the govt of the day wants to spend it. No one on this site is against more money for wildlife spending only where the money comes from and at the end of the day it is still our money.

I wonder if you could put a kill switch in a tax bill, like the moment the tax that is collected is rerouted then the bill is dead?

NO!! Not unless anything other than science is considered in managing wildlife populations. If governments are going to be swayed by social media campaigns and politics, then no I would not support any additional tax on my rights being restricted. Why would any hunter agree to such a proposition? How about an extra tax on ALL outdoor sports gear and activities (skiing, sledding access, kayaking, etc.), because these activities constitute encroachment on habitat and sometimes destroy habitat? Let's be fair about it and point out to city-ots how their activities also constitute habitat loss and encroachment, instead of blaming the hunter for all the woes in wildlife management!
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 01-09-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!