View Poll Results: Would you support a special levy on hunting/fishing gear

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 52.34%
  • No

122 47.66%
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Re: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

The government has shown us over and over that they cannot manage the tax revenue they bring in now effectively. They waste an insane amount and if they are not wasting it they are giving it away and getting nothing in return. Absolutely NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Very well could have miss understood what you meant by your post

Just common to see hunters in BC point fingers saying “x should pay out” or “ I won’t put $ forward if x don’t “ this attitude holds back anything getting accomplished. I am a believer that hunters need to focus on what we can do vs what we can get others to do is my point.

My attitude is hunters should focus on showing an example by putting in an effort to making a difference before pushing industry.
    lol I tell my kids that all the time. don't worry about everyone else worry about what you can do!

"just have trouble understanding how anybody can support greater taxation on the blue collar workers of this country"

Here's the simple explanation Stan:

1st, most recognize that government can't be trusted to keep a dedicated tax dedicated to it's goal. They will try to divert the $$ to a pet project. That's why we're suggesting a tax that flows to an independent body. The example of what CC's liberal government did to ICBC is a lesson in how strongly insulated the independent body has to be. Forewarned is forearmed. (BTW, if the standalone independent agency didn't build up the cash but instead got it out the door doing concrete work in the communities it would a) have less cash to raid and b) be harder to target).

2nd, most recognize that government will not, despite how often you call for them to do it, spend tax money wisely. That's jut the world we live in. Demanding that they change their practices and start spending money on conservation wisely is sort of like hoping Santa will bring you something - most of us have reached the age that we know Santa will bring something, but that at the end of the day we're paying the bill because we're actually Santa.

3rd, most recognize (and I'm including you, because you know this as much as I do) that if you want something you have to pay for it. There is no free lunch. If we want conservation we're going to pay for it one way or another. We can try to get the government to spend less on schools, health, cushy jobs for party faithful. A lot of people don't think that'll work. And that's the real reason that people are advocating more taxes. They realize that if you want something done you've got to do it yourself, and that costs money.

No, it is not a pretty picture. No, it is not a simple job to get the tax money and keep it free from government's greed talons. But...we need the work to be done, and a lot of people can't see another way. It doesn't need to be only hunters, since a lot of non-hunters benefit from and enjoy wildlife and wild landscapes.

BTW, the people who oppose hunting most effectively are professionals and get paid for what they do. If you think we're going to compete with them without reaching in our pockets you've got another thing coming. Again, I think you realize that this is true.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    lol I tell my kids that all the time. don't worry about everyone else worry about what you can do!
    My kids get the same talk

Crazy how much can be accomplished with this attitude lol

Hopefully SSS reply of the Robertson Pitman act shows what basically is the objective of this taxation request..Read it ..Its been working for years..And yes its embarrising to see what the few states spend on their Wildlife and Fisheries versus ...SUPER NATURAL BC...LOL...We are a disgrace..No balls No brains and CHEAP *******S...In the end people that want to support a positive initiative will bring about change and will help the cause...Others will be bottom feeders and I guess thats that....Dennis

Everyone wants to hunt, everyone wants science based management, but no-one wants to fund it. No money in General Revenue to pay for us as a user group. If we want proper management of wildlife we are going to have to pay for it
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    Graphs can be skewed to get the results you want...

Throwing money at something that is broken when you don't what the problem is won't fix it.
    That graphic clearly show that next to no money is being spent on wildlife conservation in this province by comparison. Do you not believe that fact?
    Money needs to be spent to find out what the problem is before you can fix it. It's called research. It's part of the process.
    We need to spend some money folks!

Nope, I dont agree with taxing the people who already contribute the most to wildlife management. Perhaps it would be better to create a special tax to those who oppose or dont hunt/fish. Way more revenue that way, and then those people will actually be contributing more than thoughts and feelings!

Hunter gatherer
    The smart vrs the what , someone with a different opinion is what. Hunters dole out lots of taxes every year. The extra fuel you burn ,hotels you stay in ,ammo ,equipment and so on . All these things are taxed ,if we didn't hunt those taxes would not be collected,instead it might be a Mexican holiday where all monies were spent elsewhere.

None of which you speak of go's to wildlife initiatives, think about it.

Its been mentioned in this thread already, but I think it needs to be emphasized. The ONLY way to ensure that our privileges to hunt are maintained is to make sure that we are the ONLY ones contributing to wildlife management. The excise taxes collected on firearms, ammunition, bows etc. in the US are a huge success. If we look for others to help fund wildlife management, they will expect to have even more say in how those populations are managed. I think they already have too damn much to say now.

Make it an excise tax the same as the US, guarantee it is collected and forwarded to an independent agency that manages the funds for "boots on the ground" habitat and wildlife management and tell the anti's to go eat themselves. I look forward to contributing more financially if it means that that money goes to habitat protection. My hunting fees and tags can go to the defense of my privileges and lawyers that will be necessary in the near future as the effing Furbearers, Raincoast, SPCA, PETA and all the other self interest Eco-brokers look to boost their socially engineered influence on OUR resource.