View Poll Results: Would you support a special levy on hunting/fishing gear

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 52.34%
  • No

122 47.66%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Re: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Does anyone actually read a thread thru on HBC?
    Painful.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Pemby_mess Guest

That graphic makes bc hunters look like entitled spoiled brats - hopefully not true. Id not be keen in funding general revenue, but obviously we all need to find a way to channel more money directly into this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Forest companies support entire communities you idiot
    Sure they do Stan, you misunderstand.
    Its not the resident hunters job to hold forest companies to account.
    Dont you think its ok to have them pay a small fee for wildlife initiatives, restoration, etc is it Stan?
    Who do you think should pay for this??

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    If we as hunters want to achieve results looking for support from those who have passion and want to see wildlife flourish is the better starting point then fighting industry

Trying to battle industry in hopes of getting $ out of them would be long and costly. Lobby to improve practices or that a portion of environmental fines forestry pays out go to funding wildlife sure.
    Why battle industry?
    Some of the posting in this thread tells me this....some are good readers but poor at comprehension.

This thread is a perfect example of the cross section of the hunting mind in this province, the smart vrs the....

Despite some, its encouraging that most hunters get it, and some that dont get it can be swayed into the basic understanding that the money has to come from somewhere, and its obvious by now it wont be coming from the government directly.
    Its wise to not trust government to implement a funding model, it would be unwise to think that there isn't the wisdom within the hunting community to implement such a strategy with government at arms length, yet independant of government.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    That graphic makes bc hunters look like entitled spoiled brats - hopefully not true. Id not be keen in funding general revenue, but obviously we all need to find a way to channel more money directly into this kind of thing.
    Graphs can be skewed to get the results you want. The money allocated to wildlife is what the govt puts into it from our taxes, they just need to stop wasting tax money on frivolous projects. I am sure we all here would put more money into wildlife if we knew that's where the funds would go but giving more money to the govt is basicly pissing into the wind. "Entitled spoiled brats" ,really ,name calling. Throwing money at something that is broken when you don't what the problem is won't fix it.

[QUOTE=338win mag;1971305]This thread is a perfect example of the cross section of the hunting mind in this province, the smart vrs the....
    The smart vrs the what , someone with a different opinion is what. Hunters dole out lots of taxes every year. The extra fuel you burn ,hotels you stay in ,ammo ,equipment and so on . All these things are taxed ,if we didn't hunt those taxes would not be collected,instead it might be a Mexican holiday where all monies were spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Why battle industry?
    Some of the posting in this thread tells me this....some are good readers but poor at comprehension.
    Very well could have miss understood what you meant by your post

Just common to see hunters in BC point fingers saying “x should pay out” or “ I won’t put $ forward if x don’t “ this attitude holds back anything getting accomplished. I am a believer that hunters need to focus on what we can do vs what we can get others to do is my point.

My attitude is hunters should focus on showing an example by putting in an effort to making a difference before pushing industry.

Gonna be difficult to cough up all these new bend over user feed and taxes that appear well supported without the jobs that industry provides.i think we are paying plenty.

As a hunter I don’t mind paying the majority of revenue that will fund wildlife management. I do think though, we would need any additional revenues to be placed in a legally protected account outside of the normal government reach. I do think that given the differences between the USA Federal excise program and a smaller provincial program, it would make more sense to simply increase license and tag fees rather than tax items. I totally understand the sentiment that many feel that they are already overtaxed, I feel the same way. But I even feel more strongly towards the current state of our wildlife in this province, I’ve never seen things as bleak as they are now something needs to be done soon. Continued urbanization, habitat fragmentation, habitat degradation, high predation rates, all need to be dealt with sooner rather than later. If we step up to the plate put the energy and time into improving our wildlife management in British Columbia, our grandchildren will thank us.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever