Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Wants To Talk Muleys?

Who Wants To Talk Muleys?

Lets get this site back on track. Who wants to talk hunting again? While mule deer numbers are way down across the province and it is a pretty tuff proposition to find a decent meat buck, if you keep at it and are willing to change tactics and learn, there is still the odd good 'un out there. Lets share tactics and stories and learn from each other. Here is my last decent meat buck from 2016.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who Wants To Talk Muleys?

Just over two years ago I finally found a great mule deer area. My first adventure up into the area in early September was amazing. I was up there for 4 days. Every day we saw big 4 point bucks and many others. Being a rookie hunter I had two very close unsuccessful stalks that I carried on my shoulders for the rest of the year. Learned a lot from that trip.
    The following year(2017) I had picked up a bow and spent months and months practicing with a successful bear hunt in the spring , I went back to the same spot with more confidence. This time we saw bucks everyday but never glassed up a 4 pointer. I did have a stalk on a massive 3 point, he got spooked at took off around some trees. I kept my cool and crept around the other side. There he was standing broadside. I start getting excited but I had placed my binos on top of my range finder in my bino harness. I stumble for a few seconds getting it out, finally range him at 50 yards. As I pull my bow up he bolts and is gone forever.
    I will be back there next year!
    So general question for experienced mule deer hunters... do you find in that deer in your spots vary year to year in a cycle, example bigger deer one year, smaller deer the other?
    Just kinda curious

Later...im busy ��
    Midnight toker

Beauty buck! Nice fronts & love those dark horns. Looks pretty thick in there. Did u call him in? Did u know he was in there before?
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Nice one Steve!!

I’m lucky all my areas were great for the limited time I spent there this past fall. No mature bucks spotted, but was able to glass up 11 4points in one area in one day. My buddy was hungry and took this buck, I regret it some as I think when he matured (if he survived) woulda been a 200 gross typical!
    Tell it how it is!!!

Alpine muleys. Booyah. My favourite topic.

I find myself scrolling through photos from this year and I just cant wait to get back in the hills. I too think i will take the bow challenge this season.

In response to SCOTTY, I dont think the deer in your area will vary year to year. Unless of course your hunting a migratory path, then it would just be luck of the draw as to what size deer you happened to get on to. As for those deer that are in the same area all year, i hope the big donkey i glassed last year pre season is still kicking.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty76 View Post
    Just over two years ago I finally found a great mule deer area. My first adventure up into the area in early September was amazing. I was up there for 4 days. Every day we saw big 4 point bucks and many others. Being a rookie hunter I had two very close unsuccessful stalks that I carried on my shoulders for the rest of the year. Learned a lot from that trip.
    The following year(2017) I had picked up a bow and spent months and months practicing with a successful bear hunt in the spring , I went back to the same spot with more confidence. This time we saw bucks everyday but never glassed up a 4 pointer. I did have a stalk on a massive 3 point, he got spooked at took off around some trees. I kept my cool and crept around the other side. There he was standing broadside. I start getting excited but I had placed my binos on top of my range finder in my bino harness. I stumble for a few seconds getting it out, finally range him at 50 yards. As I pull my bow up he bolts and is gone forever.
    I will be back there next year!
    So general question for experienced mule deer hunters... do you find in that deer in your spots vary year to year in a cycle, example bigger deer one year, smaller deer the other?
    Just kinda curious
    Keep at er and things will eventually work out. With every failed stalk, you learn something that will help you on the next attempt.
    As for your question, in the good ol' days (10 years ago) I would tell you that mule deer are very habitual in year to year patterns. Meaning, if you find a good buck in one spot, you go back the next year at the same time you have a good chance at finding him again. Now, with the high predator numbers, you can't count on anything. The fact you are seeing a good number of deer tells me you have found a spot that the preds aren't hitting hard. So, if that trend continues, you should be able to see several of those deer year after year. But, preds move in and all bets are off. As for seeing smaller deer this past year, could very well just been the conditions. Hot dry years, the bigger bucks tend to be more nocturnal and do all their feeding at night and sleep in the thick cool timber during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ~T-BONE~ View Post
    Nice one Steve!!

I’m lucky all my areas were great for the limited time I spent there this past fall. No mature bucks spotted, but was able to glass up 11 4points in one area in one day. My buddy was hungry and took this buck, I regret it some as I think when he matured (if he survived) woulda been a 200 gross typical!
    In my neck of the woods, I have totally dropped the mantra, 'let them go to grow'. If you do let them go, you have a good chance at finding them dead in the spring in a pile of wolf scat. It is incredibly hard to hold your tag when all you see is 3-5 deer in a solid week of pounding it hard. Hard to look a gift horse in the mouth. You sometimes have to take what you see as it might be your only opportunity to bring meat home. On the flip side, if you already have meat from other critters, chosing to pass just to hold your tag and hunt till the bitter end might be the objective.

Thumbs up Re: Who Wants To Talk Muleys?

A rather fine "meat buck" there Dana!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    ... Lets share tactics and stories and learn from each other...
    I too would love to hear the tale on this one.
    Does indeed look a little thick in there, so methinks it will be interesting how you got to set up on him...

I'm pretty much a spot & stalk guy when it comes to Mulies.
    Both with bow and rifle.

Bow usually means the OK areas that we may lose for late season hunting.
    With the cover, spotting is more the issue than the stalk... usually.
    Helps to have a good idea where the bucks might be, and that is obviously still a work in progress for most (including me!)

Rifle usually means hunting the alpine, river valleys or the coulees of Alberta.
    Spotting there is generally the opposite of the bow hunt, relatively easy compared to the stalk.
    But given the extra range of the rifle, it often pays off well.
    Some of those areas I already have a decent idea where the Big Boys hang out.

Since you've been gone, I taken a couple.
    Did not this season due to vision issues, but here's the one I took the fall before:

Passed up a lot of bucks, some typicals a fair bit larger, but kept coming back to think on the drop tines.
    Last day, I simply could not help myself...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

There are only two types of muley bucks in BC based on my 2017 experience: smaller than 4 pts after October and 4 pts on the wrong side of a fence!

(I'll just pretend that buck in the post above isn't there. Love those drop tines!)
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey