Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whisker Biscuit users? Effects on accuracy? Good out to 60?

Re: Whisker Biscuit users? Effects on accuracy? Good out to 60?

The WB works fine,but there are better full capture arrow rests around now that are based on the same concept.
    I think FUSE makes a 3 point full capture arrow rest which allow arrows to travel through without the vanes contacting the brushes.

Will throw my two cents in here as have used Whisker biscuit's and QAD ultra rest's back and forth for years. Both work fine if set up properly. With the biscuit, best to use Blazer or similar short stiff vanes. If you use longer softer vanes, they will acquire a wave from heating as the vane goes through the biscuit over time. Since I always put a minimal dab of fletching glue on the front of my vanes in case I shoot a vane into my block target, (so I can pull it through without damaging the vane), I never have an issue with vanes coming off. They'll only do it if they aren't glued properly anyway..
    I use a two degree straight offset on the vane rather than a helical. Biscuit needs to be sized larger than your arrow. The arrow is just sitting on the bottom of it, the rest of the fibers are just there to keep the arrow from falling out. In my opinion, it's no different than a prong rest, without the possibility of your vanes contacting one of the prongs if your nock gets twisted. And obviously, if the biscuit is showing signs of wear on the bottom, or the fibers are getting really messed up, replace the biscuit part, it's made so you can. A good dry teflon spray works well to keep things working smooth and in bad weather, free of ice. Drop away's can freeze up as well, had it happen more than once!
    I always buy an aluminum framed biscuit with both windage and elevation adjustment.
    Last edited by downsouth204; 02-13-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth204 View Post
    Will throw my two cents in here as have used Whisker biscuit's and QAD ultra rest's back and forth for years. Both work fine if set up properly. With the biscuit, best to use Blazer or similar short stiff vanes. If you use longer softer vanes, they will acquire a wave from heating as the vane goes through the biscuit over time. Since I always put a minimal dab of fletching glue on the front of my vanes in case I shoot a vane into my block target, (so I can pull it through without damaging the vane), I never have an issue with vanes coming off. They'll only do it if they aren't glued properly anyway..
    I use a two degree straight offset on the vane rather than a helical. Biscuit needs to be sized larger than your arrow. The arrow is just sitting on the bottom of it, the rest of the fibers are just there to keep the arrow from falling out. In my opinion, it's no different than a prong rest, without the possibility of your vanes contacting one of the prongs if your nock gets twisted. And obviously, if the biscuit is showing signs of wear on the bottom, or the fibers are getting really messed up, replace the biscuit part, it's made so you can. A good dry teflon spray works well to keep things working smooth and in bad weather, free of ice. Drop away's can freeze up as well, had it happen more than once!
    I always buy an aluminum framed biscuit with both windage and elevation adjustment.
    Just had to chime in on the windage and elevation adjustments on a wb. I'm sure they help but if your that concerned with elements that effect arrow flight would you not just get a drop away?

Quote Originally Posted by tuner View Post
    The WB works fine,but there are better full capture arrow rests around now that are based on the same concept.
    I think FUSE makes a 3 point full capture arrow rest which allow arrows to travel through without the vanes contacting the brushes.
    Honestly I would look at the APA twister before I give the nod to any brush type rest on my bow again
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

The original Whisker Biscuit was sold by Carolina Archery Products.
    It's windage adjustment had a slide and locking bolt similar to the Trophy Ridge ones of today. The elevation adjustment was done by tilting the mount.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...minum?a=277242

Having both windage and elevation adjustments just makes it easier to set up and paper tune.

I prefer the kill shot, it's small and light and solid. It's addressed every complain of the original, it side loads, and has a stiff brush bottom

http://totalcompoundbows.com/trophy-...ot-arrow-rest/

It's my opinion that a drop away is a mechanical device and as such can potentially fail. Not much can go wrong with a whisker biscuit, it has no moving parts....
    So for hunting I prefer a whisker biscuit. I've used both and they work just fine if set up properly. Both have advantages and disadvantages. A drop away likely gives a slight accuracy edge, but has mechanical parts that can fail. I've had one QAD that liked to freeze up on me from condensation forming inside the mechanism, and another that I had replaced when a part broke inside. Aside from that they were both excellent rests and worked just ducky.
    A biscuit eventually wears and needs to be replaced, and supposedly gives a slight decrease in speed, but if i was worried about that, I wouldn't be shooting 460 grain arrows. By using Bohning Blazer vanes, I've had no issues with vane's and a shot of this spray keeps everything moving, the same little can has lasted me like 15 years.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/scor...uit-spray.html

For me the trouble free nature of the whisker biscuit outweighs any disadvantage it has. But that's just my experience and preference, try them both and see which one you like best!
    Last edited by downsouth204; 02-18-2018 at 10:45 AM.

HAHA whisker biscuits! this is how my boss used to refer to a womans vagina.

I tried an expensive drop away and found that the arrow would fall off and make noise even on a short stalk... I hated it and went back to a WB for hunting. Youd could be hanging upside down with a WB and still be able to shoot! LOL Never had any issues with the WB and it would take some convincing and demonstration of a drop away to even consider it again.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

If you’re a good shot, you will continue to be a good shot with the biscuit. Do a search on the web, a fellow demonstrates he can pop balloons at 100 yards with the biscuit. There is also an interesting article that tests the wb against the leading drop away rests. The results may surprise you.

I watched my friend bust clay pigeons at 100 yards on a target with one. Didn't see any need to change mine.