Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New shiny packs from Stone Glacier!

Re: New shiny packs from Stone Glacier!

For this brand I like the looks of the Avail 2200 for a daypack.. the price looks reasonable .... just wondering if they would hit ya hard for duty.... but then again if I’m worried about that I shouldn’t be hunting .. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    ...SG Solo 3300 - The SG packs are nice (at least on the net!!) and great people to talk to, but their packs are minimalists, none or very little pockets for organizational stuff, unless you spend more $$ on "extras"....which all add up...
    SS, if you ever get back to the Island I have a XCurve with a Solo 3300 you could try on. Incredibly light, comfortable and can pack more than I'm willing to carry! I love this pack.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    For this brand I like the looks of the Avail 2200 for a daypack.. the price looks reasonable .... just wondering if they would hit ya hard for duty.... but then again if I’m worried about that I shouldn’t be hunting .. Lol
    No duty, all are mad in the USA, But you spin the wheel on the taxman, so be prepared to add 7%...or is it 12?

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    SS, if you ever get back to the Island I have a XCurve with a Solo 3300 you could try on. Incredibly light, comfortable and can pack more than I'm willing to carry! I love this pack.
    I appreciate the offer, will be back in the summer, hope to have my pack by then. I really do like the SG, but to get what I want will be $850+. Need to ref a few more hockey games!!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I like the looks of that evo 40/56 pack. At 4 pounds, it would make a great day pack at 4000ci and expand big enough to fill with meat. But i guess that is what the load shelf is for, i still havent tried that for packing out meat. Seems easier and quicker to just throw it in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    I like the looks of that evo 40/56 pack. At 4 pounds, it would make a great day pack at 4000ci and expand big enough to fill with meat. But i guess that is what the load shelf is for, i still havent tried that for packing out meat. Seems easier and quicker to just throw it in the bag.
    Meat shelf all the way. It takes a few minutes to get the bag off the frame and back on but for me it's worth it. The load shelf keeps the lowest meat above my hips. At the center of my back. For me, it's much more stable that way whereas the bottom of the bag sits a bit lower and unless the bag is full it feels kind of .... off balance. Hard to explain but I've been using the meat shelf and it has been excellent.

Give it a try next time. Nothing to lose but 5 minutes to get the bag off the frame and back on.

After my mountain hunt this year, I started looking into different packs and was leaning heavily towards SG. I couldn’t decide between the new sky 5900 or the talus. But it seems they added both features together for the new sky 7900! I wanted a dedicated spotter pocket on the side and front pocket for rain gear separate from the main bag. Now I just need to decide which frame? would be nice if there was a place to try both on and see which fits better to my body. Maybe when they release the new videos it’ll shed some light on how to decide which frame

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    I have an Avail that I use for training more than anything else. It's solid, but you are limited in space(duh!). Not sure I would ever really use it for hunting as a bigger pack would always be with me anyways. You certainly couldn't fit a de-boned deer in the thing even if you only had the bare essentials with you(knife and game bags). It's not really a hunting pack. It would be awesome for back country skiing and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSix View Post
    After my mountain hunt this year, I started looking into different packs and was leaning heavily towards SG. I couldn’t decide between the new sky 5900 or the talus. But it seems they added both features together for the new sky 7900! I wanted a dedicated spotter pocket on the side and front pocket for rain gear separate from the main bag. Now I just need to decide which frame? would be nice if there was a place to try both on and see which fits better to my body. Maybe when they release the new videos it’ll shed some light on how to decide which frame
    I'll be trying everything they have at the Sheep Show later this week as I am pretty much sold on buying a pack from them already. Just need to find out the difference in the frames as well. I'm looking at the 7900 as well. Seems to be bigger than I really need for the majority of the time, but will be glad to have it when something is down.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

I’ll be interested in your initial impression. I thought it was bigger then my needs as well but using in bivy mode shrinks that a lot of the unused space. I’ve also never said my bags to big when hauling game out.

You guys have to remember that the stone glacier packs are designed for the meat to be hauled out on the frame itself. On the meat shelf.

I can guarantee you there would be ZERO problems packing out a deboned mule deer on the SG frame and the o e of the small bags. Like avail 2200.

I packed out 4 bucks this year, using the load shelf on 3 of them. Worked like a dream.

My dad's buck was about 3/4 of a mile from the road and we deboned some and packed the rear quarters whole inside the back .... it worked fine. But I'd you were to only do the debone then the small bags would still work.

I was on a 5 day trip for the opener and all of my gear and food fit in the 6200 while in bivy mode.

Expanded up fully you can do a 10 day trip easy. I guess if you were doing lots of late season backpacking trips you'd need to go bigger. But 6200 is pretty damn roomy.

I’m looking for something to take on 10-14 day mountain hunts, I’m pretty minimalist in what I bring but it’s the food that takes up so much room. Originally I was looking at the sky 5900 and the Talus. But for me the new pocket layout on the Sky Guide just seems ideal. As for meat I do plan on picking up the load cell and using the meat shelf.
    Are the belt pouches worth getting a pair of?