Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy rabbit recipe

Re: Easy rabbit recipe

I’ve gone rabbiting in Oz too. Some farm kids on my uncles property that had a weasel. My dad use to pit lamp them, back in the day. Easiest to snare them here. Just use 10 gauge wire. We get a few every night.

this year is the bottom of the cycle...last few years we killed hundreds wife would debone and make burgers....favorite burger ever i have zero idea what she did...i harvest and bulk plant she details and cooks...old fashioned but works for us.

All the rabbit I eat from now on will be de-boned before cooking. $496 to get a tooth fixed from a rib bone. Cooked in a slow cooker. We are going to get enough to do a pressure canning rabbit session. Brown some meat and cook in the pressure canner. Maybe smoke it and then can it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    this year is the bottom of the cycle....
    True, in our hare honey hole around Kamloops we only saw three total for a evening hike. Kids were disappointed.

Anyways good to know that other see this as a bottle cycle year, not just this spot.

Back when I lived on the island. Me and a member of this forum went rabbit hunting.

Soaking the meat in a brine over night really helps! But my girlfriend and I have roasted snowshoe hare over a fire while camping. Salt, pepper, hot sauce..... it was damn good too....but we'd had a few beers haha

tigrr sorry about the tooth...i did that on a small bone off a red spring...ughh guess he had his revenge...worst part is it was the night before a elk hunt and i went hunting instead of dentist...
    (dad need you to drive me for more tylenol before are hike)

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_overlord View Post
    With snowshoe hares I cut off backstraps, front and back legs and slow cooker them. Very dry due to lean meat otherwise, and too many tiny bones with the back and ribs. Made as a paprikash.. saute meat in pan add diced onion and brown then transfer to crock pot. add large can diced tomato, salt and pepper, chicken stock, and 3+ tablespoons of paprika, depending on your taste. Simmer,then thicken with flour. Once meat is tender and before serving add sour cream. Serve over noodles, rice, or with dumplings.
    That sounds really good but keeping with the theme of the thread, we stir fry ours just like chicken and it is great. It can get rid ofa lot ofthe bones as well. My buddy does a confit which is time consuming but really good as well. Lots of bunnies out there. Remember, when hunting winter hare, don't look for the rabbit, look for the eye. And always head shots so they don't get away.

Chicken Cacciatore, "hunter style chicken" (substituting rabbit/hare for the chicken). Here's an example https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1943042

Lots of different variations. serve as a stew, or take the meat off the bone and serve with pasta.

Cook it low and slow. Also works best with a younger animal.