Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We “Managing Wildlife to Zero” in British Columbia?

Re: Are We “Managing Wildlife to Zero” in British Columbia?

Thanks for posting the article I hope everyone can read it with an open mind. This cut the regs save the animals bent is very entrenched in many, it has been for a long time yet as science gets better and better its proven more and more wrong. I know its been hard for me but changing my mind on issues through the years has had to happen and been the best things I've done in life. By shear odds there's just no way any one person has the correct view on everything from the get go.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

The trouble with managing hunters with cutbacks to hunting opportunity is like most things you will be hard pressed to get that opportunity back even if the science supports it !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    The trouble with managing hunters with cutbacks to hunting opportunity is like most things you will be hard pressed to get that opportunity back even if the science supports it !
    And managing populations with max harvest in mind often leads to lower success rate and more $ spent trying to achieve success because the number of days available in the season. Over time this can actually cause some to give up hunting or cut right back

This also creates hunters that are less passionate about hunting/wildlife do to frustration. I actually see this a lot in BC.

Wonder why it’s hard t get more hunters involved in BC?

Remember majority of BCs hunters are not on forums or part of surveys

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    And managing populations with max harvest in mind often leads to lower success rate and more $ spent trying to achieve success because the number of days available in the season. Over time this can actually cause some to give up hunting or cut right back

This also creates hunters that are less passionate about hunting/wildlife do to frustration. I actually see this a lot in BC.

Wonder why it’s hard t get more hunters involved in BC?

Remember majority of BCs hunters are not on forums or part of surveys
    Disagree. Hunter numbers in BC are on the increase and many from non traditional demographics. Lots of doom and gloom around, human nature I guess, but I have a very positive outlook for the future of hunting in BC Political obstacles notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Disagree. Hunter numbers in BC are on the increase and many from non traditional demographics. Lots of doom and gloom around, human nature I guess, but I have a very positive outlook for the future of hunting in BC Political obstacles notwithstanding.
    Yes hunter numbers have increased and have taken the time to mentor many. How many will only be fad hunters?

I have also seen many hunters cut back number of days in the field. Also seen an increase in questionable ethics that I won’t get into in open forum

guest Guest

I might be wrong but I believe there largest number of new hunters to BC are the young females...... Great to see in my opinion.

Lets continue to help encouraging our youth to our traditions, heritage, our rights as lovers of the outdoors and conservation, healthy alternatives to supermarket butcher shops .

Spend time with those showing an interest, they are and will be our future. Have them get involved in voicing concerns to our officials.

Great post, IMO I feel that hunters just don't back each other up, for instance the natives that got caught in poaching the elk, they have their tribe there supporting them... yes for poaching and not one law abiding citizen was there demoting their tribal gathering, the local fish and game clubs should be more vocal, however the local game clubs have been in decline due to the internet ( Social networking), time etc... Every hunter has a voice, with many people stepping up maybe the government will listen to our concerns however until there is a a significant amount of people banding together we will just be the shiet under their shoe..

It's pretty sad to see how fast the demise is coming, I hear next years regulations will have major impact for GOS in several management units, but right now that's hear say.... I'm not sure what the answer is, stronger membership in BCWF??
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    I hear next years regulations will have major impact for GOS in several management units, but right now that's hear say.... I'm not sure what the answer is, stronger membership in BCWF??
    I'm not seeing major impact for GOS but here it is, you be the judge

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting

They're inviting comments until Jan. 19 within that site as posted in the BCWF section here. Let'm know what you think!

Question Re: Are We “Managing Wildlife to Zero” in British Columbia?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    The fact of the matter is, it's doesn't really cost the gov't much, if any, to change hunting regulations to reduce harvests...

The other facets require money: research, legislation, habitat improvement, etc.
    And that, right there, is why you will NEVER see any government in BC do the right thing towards wild life & wild spaces without one hell of a groundswell of support. Given the demonstrable APATHY among BC hunters & anglers, that day may never come unfortunately.

The biggest step forward that can be made now is getting hunting dollars into a non-partisan wildlife management society and get politicians fingers out of science based management so we don't end up with more hunting bans based on emotion.
    Again it will take some serious pressure to accomplish this.
    Great theory.
    Do we have enough support or sway to make it happen??

Wondering...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Do we have enough support or sway to make it happen??

Wondering...
    Nog

Oh, we have the numbers. 105,000 votes, plus whomever within our friends/family circles we can bring onside. There were only 1500 votes separating the pro-hunting party and the anti-hunting party in the 2017 election.

However, we're too busy arguing over 10 days of deer season, or whether we should see 50 whitetail does before 9 am.

And the ones we're arguing with want to lower that 105,000 number down via hunting regulations to some level that helps them sleep in an extra 15 minutes and not have some coastie beat them to their favourite spot in the morning.

We need the political voice that our 174,000 hunters gave us in the early 1980s. Coincidentally (or not), when that number shrank rapidly over the course of a couple of years to 84,000, that seemed to be the start of reduced funding and increased use of LEH and more restrictive GOS.

I don't know why the knuckle draggers can't connect those few simple dots together. Without a very strong number of ballots to influence politicians, we're ignored, along with the wildlife we cherish.
    Last edited by Fisher-Dude; 01-05-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !