Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Are We “Managing Wildlife to Zero” in British Columbia?

Re: Are We “Managing Wildlife to Zero” in British Columbia?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I agree, it all starts with legislated objectives for fish and wildlife populations, and the proper funding backing those objectives.....I hope all you old school thinkers read this, and approach it with an open mind, rather than just having a hate on for Fisher Dude..you all know who you are, time to wake up and start demanding to your respective MLA's that wildlife needs to be a higher funding priority, not more restrictive hunting seasons..
    Funding for wildlife enhancement , COs, and collecting data to keep better track of our game populations is needed

Running our present system without the above is part of the problem. Management for the purpose of creating opurtunity without proper data on our populations and a portion of our MUs run on guessing instead of proper counts is an issue. With little to no effort put in to adjust management when minimums are not being met in a population is a problem

Management for the purpose of opportunity well keeping game populations in mind involves a more in-depth knowledge of our populations and closer management then presently used in BC. We presently have a blanket management system that is more about trying to keep things simple for hunters then working with our game populations.

Want to free up more $ combination of of conservative management and opportunity management helps. Conservative management has more give when it comes to game populations. This can take concern of some locations and funding can be directed to maintaining counts on areas managed for opportunity

Multi tier systems have more advantages then blanket management for both expenses and game populations

BC is actually managed with old school thinking

Dont worry I do more then talk to MLAs

Look at the history of locations outside of BC and you will find they all started with max opurtunity goals

Changes that took place outside of BC are not all about special interest groups as many suggest her in BC and many areas experienced problems with game numbers under management involving liberal opurtunity

So what is old school thinking

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    You want more money! who is going to spend this money and on what?
    I've seen first hand how Fish and Wildlife spend money. I wouldn't give them a dime to run a pay toilet.
    Even if we had just the $$$ from all of our hunting revenue go back into the resource rather than into general revenue, and this $$ was controlled by competent people who were accountable, and it could be put into things like habitat restoration such as controlled burns, pred management, aerial counts, studies such as the tick survey that they're conducting right now on moose, and on projects like FSR spur road deactivation, we would see a vast improvent in our wildlife situation in the coming years...it would be a lot more effective than cutting back hunting seasons....remember we're conservationists first but, we all like hunting and want opportunity for not only ourselves, but for our kids, so let's stop shooting ourselves in the foot..

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Funding for wildlife enhancement , COs, and collecting data to keep better track of our game populations is needed

Running our present system without the above is part of the problem. Management for the purpose of creating opurtunity without proper data on our populations and a portion of our MUs run on guessing instead of proper counts is an issue. With little to no effort put in to adjust management when minimums are not being met in a population is a problem

Management for the purpose of opportunity well keeping game populations in mind involves a more in-depth knowledge of our populations and closer management then presently used in BC. We presently have a blanket management system that is more about trying to keep things simple for hunters then working with our game populations.

Want to free up more $ combination of of conservative management and opportunity management helps. Conservative management has more give when it comes to game populations. This can take concern of some locations and funding can be directed to maintaining counts on areas managed for opportunity

Multi tier systems have more advantages then blanket management for both expenses and game populations

BC is actually managed with old school thinking

Dont worry I do more then talk to MLAs
    That's great, I'm glad your more than talking to them, you've obviously got passion for wildlife that I too have, thanks for doing that...hope your pushing them for what we really need, funding..