Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Are We “Managing Wildlife to Zero” in British Columbia?

Re: Are We “Managing Wildlife to Zero” in British Columbia?

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    here, here! I think many of us would agree on this but keep arguing based on how it's presented

At times it takes a big storm to make things grow............

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    1987 to 1991, until the LEH on cow moose ended and all bulls were put on LEH. Yes.

I stated somewhere before that I asked a biologist why our logging roads weren't closed to hunting........... His reply, " Horsefly and Likely are shot out. They (hunters) need somewhere to go."
    Logging roads...or the Spur Roads...or is that the same thing.
    Anyways, why aren't the logging Companies just not "Bulldozing over the roads" in the Cutblocks??
    Just do away with them, obliterate them, make guys get out and walk the block, and make it impossible for ATV's to get into those blocks.
    As for FSR's and some roads leading to blocks, leave them.....we all get older....IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Logging roads...or the Spur Roads...or is that the same thing.
    Anyways, why aren't the logging Companies just not "Bulldozing over the roads" in the Cutblocks??
    Just do away with them, obliterate them, make guys get out and walk the block, and make it impossible for ATV's to get into those blocks.
    As for FSR's and some roads leading to blocks, leave them.....we all get older....IMO.
    They don't cause government won't let them write them off on cost of logging block. It is a little more complicated then that but not much.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Scientific Wildlife Management

1. A recent scientific study conducted in the East Kootenay using remote cameras was published and it shows the greatest number of animals photographed were whitetailed deer. It also shows the further the camera was from a road, the greater number of deer recorded. Hunters support scientific game management, yet there is a concerted effort to change the whitetailed deer season by popular opinion rather than using science.

2. Some hunters are pushing to eliminate spike moose and spike elk seasons in the East Kootenay, yet science shows hunting spikes does not impact elk or moose populations. Another populous opinion trying to change the science. What will have the greater impact on our elk populations is the large number of 5 point elk illegally killed.

3. Science shows that feeding wildlife is not necessary, except in exceptional circumstances. Yet hunters spend their time, money and energy potentially harming our wildlife rather than creating the habitat the wildlife require. Any feeding done ought to be done under Regulation rather than using an ad hoc process over science and our professional biologists’ opinions. You can feed elk for a day or create habitat that lasts an elk’s lifetime. Montana wildlife officials are concerned that feeding stations will promote the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease in wildlife populations and Montana is next door to the East Kootenay and are experiencing CWD in their ungulate populations.

4. Science shows that increasing or improving wildlife habitat will increase wildlife populations. So rather than supporting science and our biologists, some hunters spend their time and energy trying to change Regulations rather than improving habitat.

5. Right now we need more wildlife biologists, more funding for wildlife management, a wildlife management plan with goals. Support is needed to ban herbicide treatments of some 55,000 hectares annually killing aspen and willow moose forage. Fighting against an apparent plan to restrict hunting in the northern half of this province to aboriginals only. Preventing a number of steelhead runs from going extinct. Increasing bighorn sheep populations that are critically low in numbers.

6. The time has arrived where our young hunters have to step up and embrace scientific wildlife management by taking over from the grumpy old geezers who are always talking about the past, promoting ad hoc, unscientific ideas, while doing little that makes positive changes for our wildlife’s future.

Larry Hall

Cranbrook

https://www.cranbrooktownsman.com/op...editor-jan-12/
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

That's a great editorial. What's disgusting is the bleeding heart above justifying some 'conservation' group's effort to illegally feed wildlife during winter. Things are really getting out of hand with all these misinformed people pushing their ill conceived agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Interesting to see the Mule Deer chart. Mule deer population drop has been notoriously blamed on the harsh winter of 96/97, but it's clear that the issue began way before that and maybe the winter just put another nail in the coffin. Looks like things started to head south around 92/93.

Would be interested to see that Region 4 chart trended against area logged in the region and road density.
    there again though, please correct me if I am wrong, but to mention road density would be to say hunters access...aka hunters are part of a reason of decline. This is simply false and access does not equal population decline. loss of habitat, loss of food, and lack of investment in the restoration and rehabilitation of habitat is the reason for lack of recovery
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Road density greatly effects how many species use an area.
    Seldom to their benefit.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Is JT coming to BC to do a town hall? I know this is not the fishing site, but someone should be asking JT why we are managing our salmon stocks to zero

We also need to ask the exact same thing of our provincial MLA's in regards to hunting
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I would love to see Fisherdude interview JT, as he knows what’s going on!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    Seems like the Region 5 Moose graph may correlate to the timeline of the beginning of massive use of glysophates in cutblocks on deciduous growth.
    No food, no moose may be one route of scientific inquiry to explore...
    1999 is the aftermath of the GOS sandwiched between a early and a late LEH in the preceding years. If you were out and about during the GOS, there were hunters everywhere, even your backyard. I wondered where the head regional biologist's head was because it was so evident a moose population crash was imminent.
    The regional head biologists have to all be brought to the same page. Many, once appointed "head" consider their region is their fiefdom as they manage on a personal perceived notion. Hence the LEH/GOS/LEH scenerio. When questioned, the stock answer was, "I have a degree, what do you have?" So who is going to listen to a hunter.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"