Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you figure for age on this fella?

Re: What do you figure for age on this fella?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I suck at this but i want to learn .... where am i going wrong?

Is it wrong to go JUST by the "lines" if the ridges on the top are hard to spot?

I suppose there should be 9 now that i looked at it a bit more, but again, i still don't know if i got the others right, and i don't see a 10th.

Very cool, like counting tree rings. Do they taste like a farmed goat or a deer?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Hmmm where is BC RAMS when we need him?...the 3rd year anuli" I would think the next black ring above it is the actual true anuli"
    As you get to 6..7...8 notice how the rings are about the same distance apart or shorter ..so definitely room for 1 more a null " plus left over room...
    IMO he is in his 10th year..great ram wherever...age..mass..beauty
    Congrads to whomever the skilled hunter is.
    Steven

I think its 9 also

That thing definitely has some "girth" to it, especially where that 1st annuli ring is very noticeable out at the tip.
    I count that as the 2nd year, BUT, if it ends up being revealed that it is actually the 3rd year, I wouldn't be surprised.
    It just looks a "bit heavy" at that point to be a 2nd year ring.....will be fun to see what the truth is.

I am not much of a sheep hunter but I only get 8. Too bad it went out that way. Will the results be made public?
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

I’m getting 10 on both sides assuming broom is #3.

Six or seven

He’s broomed at two. The second year ring is never cut into the horn like the years that follow. It’s a bubbled line.

I see 9, im no pro though.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I suck at this but i want to learn .... where am i going wrong?

Is it wrong to go JUST by the "lines" if the ridges on the top are hard to spot?

I suppose there should be 9 now that i looked at it a bit more, but again, i still don't know if i got the others right, and i don't see a 10th.

I will agree that brooming has removed at the least a lamb tip from the left horn. I doubt that it has removed a full year of growth. I just can not recognize an annulus near the end of the left horn. The following comments are based on there not being a recognizable annulus near the end of the left horn.

The annulus you have marked as 2 will be counted as YEAR ONE when it is compulsory inspected and the ages of all of the other annuli you numbered will be reduced by 1 irrespective of how much (or little) brooming has taken place on this particular horn. If you can not see an annulus you can not count it.

If you look at the spacings of the the annuli you numbered 6, 7 and 8 (assuming they are true annuli) you will notice that they are generally the same width but infact the spacings are slightly narrower between the higher numbered annuli. Now look at the space between your number 8 annulus and the base of the horn. There is room for at least one more annulus (number 9 in your numbering system) and close examination of the horn between your number 8 annulus and the base will likely find at least one more true annulus and possibly two depending on 1) the time of year the animal died and 2)the animal's health in the last two years of life.

Based on the stated reasoning this ram and based on the left horn photograph I would expect this ram be aged as eight or nine years of age during compulsory inspection while a section of the tooth may determine it is a year older.
    Last edited by dracb; 01-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."