Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Re: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Firstly, glad to see your back.
    As to Trapman, I have heard that it is "really tough" to trap wolves....due to their intelligence.
    PG66, thanks for some insight on your experience and that little tidbit about goats, as I was just thinking about my past season talk with a GO up in the EK.
    Yes, lots and lots of wolves up in that watershed area....and beyond.
    The GO keeps repeating that the trapper in that area, basically refuses to trap wolves....so, they don't get taken.
    Now, from what you have said, and the fact that there isn't much money in wolf hides, answers that for me, and why
    possibly that trapper chooses not to go for them.
    Intersetly, I have watched 4 GO's own that territory....actually 5, but the 1st GO did well, but just decided to sell.
    The 2nd, who owned it for years, slowly over time watched the game disappear, to the point he just kept saying to me that there was "no game" left really back in the high country like it once was.
    The 3rd never even got really started, and sold off to a 4th.
    The 4th basically shot up what he could find, but within a couple of years, he also said there was nothing out there.
    That really, he was mostly targeting goats....which, from my understanding, he sort of lost that territory due to shooting "too many nannies".
    Anyways, the 5th, this current GO, has had poor success in harvesting elk the past few years, and basically said that Goats were now his real main source of revenue, and again, stated the same, no game, bad habitat....and wolves.
    Like you said, he said the same....he takes 1 here and there, but it's not enough, and hunting them is really hard.
    But, one last thing about Goats....he explained to me how these Goats, come winter time, seem to come way down the slopes of this 1 particular mountain that carries lots of nannies and kids.
    Just so happens, this slope comes to a pinch point on the river....right where the wolves seem to get most of their success.
    I have a bad feeling, it's only a matter of time, until these wolves, and the increased # of cougars in the area, deplete this watershed of Goat as well.
    And if that happens, that GO and anyone after him is finished....IMO.
    And if no GO buys that territory in the future....well...we have seen how "other groups" are slowly buying them up,
    and they ain't the sort of folks, we as hunters want to see buying up these territories.
    Just another thought on how bad other things can come from our current situation that we don't really take into account for the future.
    That's 4 of the last 5 GO's....who have sat at "my camp"....not theirs....talking to me, telling me how bad it is for them up there, and no, it's not the competition that they are trying to alleviate.
    Anyways, when the wolves get done with one source, they may not necessarily move on...they just may possibly switch, so your think about "more goats" after removing wolves holds a lot of water in my books.
    Thanks for the insight...and confirming some of my thoughts/fears.
    I really wish you had a clue what goes on in 4-25 the rest of the year instead of the 2 weeks in the fall that you are there. Trappers in the area do set for wolves, you can goggle the pioneer paper from last year on the article about one of the animals they caught. Wasn't a wolf though. The one trap area was also sold last year how is the new guy doing.
    As for goats you answered it your self could be to many nannies taken by hunters , very deprimental to the herd.
    Goats have been declining there for years and again this was voiced, the organization guys on here said no but counts are showing a different story now. Again to little to late.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    I really wish you had a clue what goes on in 4-25 the rest of the year instead of the 2 weeks in the fall that you are there. Trappers in the area do set for wolves, you can goggle the pioneer paper from last year on the article about one of the animals they caught. Wasn't a wolf though. The one trap area was also sold last year how is the new guy doing.
    As for goats you answered it your self could be to many nannies taken by hunters , very deprimental to the herd.
    Goats have been declining there for years and again this was voiced, the organization guys on here said no but counts are showing a different story now. Again to little to late.
    LBM...WTF....really,
    Seems like the GO's up there, spend a lot of time up there.
    If the GO in the area says that the trapper there "isn't trapping wolves"...then why wouldn't I take his word for it??
    Now, if there is a "new trapper" in there.....then okay...just say that.....but that's the 1st I heard about it!
    As for Goats, the GO just acquired 2 more permits...extra....why?
    Because it is in an area where the leh is like 0.6:1 odds....so basically, No One Hunts up there for Goats!!
    Thus, he was given those extra tags now.
    As for too many Nannies...yes, you could blame 1 previous GO for that....and they have a reputation for that..
    Blasting up everything...but I doubt the GO right now is anything like that.
    But Wolves are there, and the Goats do come down in winter, and the Elk are gone, and sure seems to be a lot less
    WT around as well....or...they have becoming very well hidden....due to wolf/pred in the area.
    You think those GO's were all full of S***!....
    Seems like your the "leading authority".....so go for it.

12 nannies killed in all of 4-25 in the past 15 years. 2 in the last 5 years.

Pretty difficult to conclude that this would be the cause of a population decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post

Pretty difficult to conclude that this would be the cause of a population decline.
    Exactly!!...why LBM says "hunters" are responsible for that, is beyond me??!!
    Seems to him, hunters are the reason for that decline up there for all game #'s.
    It's BS, I know there are many guys up there hunting in general, not just from talking to the GO's, but also other workers in the area.
    Way more hunters until about the mid 90's at best....now, hardly a soul up there creating all that "so called damage".

Exactly!!...why LBM says "hunters" are responsible for that, is beyond me??!!
    Seems to him, hunters are the reason for that decline up there for all game #'s.
    It's BS, I know there are many guys up there hunting in general, not just from talking to the GO's, but also other workers in the area.
    Way more hunters until about the mid 90's at best....now, hardly a soul up there creating all that "so called damage".
    Didn't say that at all, twist it to what ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post

How many there to start.

LBM...WTF....really,
    Seems like the GO's up there, spend a lot of time up there.
    If the GO in the area says that the trapper there "isn't trapping wolves"...then why wouldn't I take his word for it??
    Now, if there is a "new trapper" in there.....then okay...just say that.....but that's the 1st I heard about it!
    As for Goats, the GO just acquired 2 more permits...extra....why?
    Because it is in an area where the leh is like 0.6:1 odds....so basically, No One Hunts up there for Goats!!
    Thus, he was given those extra tags now.
    As for too many Nannies...yes, you could blame 1 previous GO for that....and they have a reputation for that..
    Blasting up everything...but I doubt the GO right now is anything like that.
    But Wolves are there, and the Goats do come down in winter, and the Elk are gone, and sure seems to be a lot less
    WT around as well....or...they have becoming very well hidden....due to wolf/pred in the area.
    You think those GO's were all full of S***!....
    Seems like your the "leading authority".....so go for it.
    New trapper just started this year. the trapper before was setting for wolves.
    No your the one that seems to spread the---- and the one complaining about the outfitter wanting 6 point elk
    season so can get trophy bulls but cant get any. Well some residents are doing well and getting some damn fine elk.
    Again I don't no why people don't tell you anything or why you think they have to. Your there 2 weeks out of the year
    a lot happens the rest of the time.

Sorry pro guide for your thread getting off track but get tired BS being spread.
    Was kind of about wolf trapping though.

Nice to see you back PG66. If the Indians have requested your help, get them to pay you, lord knows they have a shit ton of money to spend, remember it's year end!!
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    How many there to start.
    Population must be >100 in every year or they wouldn't have a hunt.

That's the minimum threshold.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Start the gofundme now Steve, I'll gladly donate and will share it with 10,000+ resident hunters on FB.