Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Re: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Or we could stuff $25 worth of 1080 in a road-killed moose and drag it onto a frozen lake with $10 of sled gas.
    Quite a few inexperienced must be doing that to some success. I can't get a raven to land on a carcass in this area.

The worst thing gov't did was fund training for all the wannabe wolf trappers and eventually educate every pack in the province.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Good for you Steve, every one helps.

I have the Lays killing wolves for me this winter, paying out of my own pocket to try and lessen the impact on my herd. Indirectly saving the lives of a few moose, deer and caribou. I suggested I could use a little financial help and the tight spincters puckered shut and quit talking about it.

Best of luck to you.
    Probably had something to do with your delivery.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Firstly, glad to see your back.
    As to Trapman, I have heard that it is "really tough" to trap wolves....due to their intelligence.
    PG66, thanks for some insight on your experience and that little tidbit about goats, as I was just thinking about my past season talk with a GO up in the EK.
    Yes, lots and lots of wolves up in that watershed area....and beyond.
    The GO keeps repeating that the trapper in that area, basically refuses to trap wolves....so, they don't get taken.
    Now, from what you have said, and the fact that there isn't much money in wolf hides, answers that for me, and why
    possibly that trapper chooses not to go for them.
    Intersetly, I have watched 4 GO's own that territory....actually 5, but the 1st GO did well, but just decided to sell.
    The 2nd, who owned it for years, slowly over time watched the game disappear, to the point he just kept saying to me that there was "no game" left really back in the high country like it once was.
    The 3rd never even got really started, and sold off to a 4th.
    The 4th basically shot up what he could find, but within a couple of years, he also said there was nothing out there.
    That really, he was mostly targeting goats....which, from my understanding, he sort of lost that territory due to shooting "too many nannies".
    Anyways, the 5th, this current GO, has had poor success in harvesting elk the past few years, and basically said that Goats were now his real main source of revenue, and again, stated the same, no game, bad habitat....and wolves.
    Like you said, he said the same....he takes 1 here and there, but it's not enough, and hunting them is really hard.
    But, one last thing about Goats....he explained to me how these Goats, come winter time, seem to come way down the slopes of this 1 particular mountain that carries lots of nannies and kids.
    Just so happens, this slope comes to a pinch point on the river....right where the wolves seem to get most of their success.
    I have a bad feeling, it's only a matter of time, until these wolves, and the increased # of cougars in the area, deplete this watershed of Goat as well.
    And if that happens, that GO and anyone after him is finished....IMO.
    And if no GO buys that territory in the future....well...we have seen how "other groups" are slowly buying them up,
    and they ain't the sort of folks, we as hunters want to see buying up these territories.
    Just another thought on how bad other things can come from our current situation that we don't really take into account for the future.
    That's 4 of the last 5 GO's....who have sat at "my camp"....not theirs....talking to me, telling me how bad it is for them up there, and no, it's not the competition that they are trying to alleviate.
    Anyways, when the wolves get done with one source, they may not necessarily move on...they just may possibly switch, so your think about "more goats" after removing wolves holds a lot of water in my books.
    Thanks for the insight...and confirming some of my thoughts/fears.

Quote Originally Posted by trapman View Post
    Let’s try this again. I totally agree Steve this is my first year trapping wolves . With over 700 pounds of bait and 130 hours of trapping time and only 5 wolves to show . It is one of the hardest and most time consuming trapping there is . You hear of so many people on the site saying they would like to help the problem , Put your support we will do the most good. Support A Trapper
    5 wolves in your first year is doing pretty good! Congrats and keep at it!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Wolves need to suffer 75% mortality for 5 straight years in order to effect a decline in their numbers.

That's a tall order in the absence of 1080 and aerial gunning.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

The LIST may seem to be a great idea in the eyes of many,but will result In the demonification of our local trappers and harrasment I suppose. talk to a C.O. or local rancher in the region you wish to donate to they will give you the goods on who is who in the wolf trapping world in your given region Knowing it is going on behind the scenes with internal knowledge is more satisfying then blowing this self serving shit out there to the uneducated leftist leafy masses . we can keep this in house and make it effective As Gcreek says he has some top notch lads out there making a difference and they are easily 3x more effective as some of the other self proclaimed around the central Cariboo remember the last time the libs won the provincial election? up until the last bit the dipps thought they had it in the bag? why? because we didn,t say shit until it was all over these strategies are ultimately effective Horsee
    PIGS IS PIGS;BUT HOG'S IS HOGS!

Quote Originally Posted by horse280 View Post
    The LIST may seem to be a great idea in the eyes of many,but will result In the demonification of our local trappers and harrasment I suppose. talk to a C.O. or local rancher in the region you wish to donate to they will give you the goods on who is who in the wolf trapping world in your given region Knowing it is going on behind the scenes with internal knowledge is more satisfying then blowing this self serving shit out there to the uneducated leftist leafy masses . we can keep this in house and make it effective As Gcreek says he has some top notch lads out there making a difference and they are easily 3x more effective as some of the other self proclaimed around the central Cariboo remember the last time the libs won the provincial election? up until the last bit the dipps thought they had it in the bag? why? because we didn,t say shit until it was all over these strategies are ultimately effective Horsee
    Ur killing me.
    Love it.
    You need to post more.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Proguide your a very smart business man, hope things work out for you, but as been mentioned before they money has to go
    to the right trappers.

If hunters want to donate as insensitive to increase wolf trapping organize a program with the BCTA

Want the best results create a program where trappers are compensated on each wolf they trap. There is a lot of old knowledgeable trappers that don’t target wolves or only invest small effort on wolves do to the lack of profit vs expenses/work

Most of the trappers that make an impact on wolves are GO’s that own the trapline within there GO territories. They are motivated because of it helping there GO business

Trying to put it in perspective Ourea. Thanks for all of your great stuff BTW not to take anything away This is really one of the most meaningful selfless things I believe anybody has almost touched on as far as bush activism on this site since I have been here since 2007 the humour is applied to "make the medicine go down" in all truthfulness this has to be a long campaign wolves,seals,sea lions etc. the climate change Barbies of OUR world have been mollycoddled long enough to have increased in population numbers beyond standard control measures , along with aspects of logging practices mainly the amount of road access in the province have come to a head.I do believe this is a simple way to perhaps dent these predators and know what,you'll never eliminate them all but that's ok just a dull roar will do how about get a stray couple of dogs with parvo and feed them to your local pack pretty easy right? oh Snap did I say that out loud? Horsee
    PIGS IS PIGS;BUT HOG'S IS HOGS!