Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Re: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Shoot me a pm.
    I have found the right fellow for the areas around Port & beyond.
    He is also in contact with the neighboring tappers, and can point you in the right direction for that if required.
    The trapper is aware of this initiative, and noted he would be quite pleased with any support that might come his way...

Even though this is the tightest time of year for me, I will be volunteering time (which I have a fair bit of) and funds when I can afford it.

I believe Proguide has this right, and that united we can make one hell of a positive difference!
    Many Thanks to The Man for bringing the idea forward!

Any other that want to help out on The Rock in the areas noted, feel free to pm for contact information.

Cheers,
    Nog
    X2 Things are tight but will donate and give time where I can to a trapper in my area which is Shawinigan Lake/ South Cowichan. I agree this is the best approach and an absolutely fantastic idea from PG...

ok great, pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Shoot me a pm.
    I have found the right fellow for the areas around Port & beyond.
    He is also in contact with the neighboring tappers, and can point you in the right direction for that if required.
    The trapper is aware of this initiative, and noted he would be quite pleased with any support that might come his way...

Even though this is the tightest time of year for me, I will be volunteering time (which I have a fair bit of) and funds when I can afford it.

I believe Proguide has this right, and that united we can make one hell of a positive difference!
    Many Thanks to The Man for bringing the idea forward!

Any other that want to help out on The Rock in the areas noted, feel free to pm for contact information.

Cheers,
    Nog

Just a little bit of info not every trapper is a wolf trapper. Anyone could be a wolf trapper the the difference between the two is time and Knowledge. I trapped for the last 19 years owned 7 deferent trap lines and never trapped a wolf till this year. What changed was my knowledge of wolves and how to trap them, through a wolf trapping program but on by the BCTA and our lower mainland trapping association. The course was great , main focus was on removing the whole pack at once and thus not to educating them on the really only reasonable way of limiting their numbers. Secondly time, I would think it would be very hard to spend the amount of time needed (finding bait areas-need to be perfect , finding and stock pilling bait, checking snares way more frequently than traps, repositioning snares every time it snows more than a few inches and on and on )trapping wolfs and still have a normal job. So if you have a territory with wolves and a lot of bait and time and the drive, not just to catch wolves but to make a difference in how we look at our wildlife ,you could be a wolf trapper

Two hours of over time this morning netted me $100. I think you are doing a hell of a good job there proguide66. I love your pictures on instagram, easily shows you are doing your part and know what you are doing. That first hundred is yours please PM me some emt info, you will get it right away. I live in region three,saw only 10 bucks this season, never shot any as i enjoy hunting more. I easily spend $1500-$2000 on gas during hunting season, not to mention another$2000 or so on gear. THANK-YOU TRAPPERS,YOU WILL GIVE US OUR BEST SHOT.

What I would like to see in BC if your have your papers for trapping and if there are trap lines not being used from within the Provence of BC and you can prove that the trap line is not being used you as a trapper shouldbe able to use this trap line to trap wolfs etc there are lots of trap lines that are not active and this is not right.. O Ya nice to see you aboard again Steve..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    What I would like to see in BC if your have your papers for trapping and if there are trap lines not being used from within the Provence of BC and you can prove that the trap line is not being used you as a trapper shouldbe able to use this trap line to trap wolfs etc there are lots of trap lines that are not active and this is not right.. O Ya nice to see you aboard again Steve..
    Traplines lying dormant are an issue trappers want solved

We would have way more trappers in the field if govt only followed there own regs on this

Asked for hunter support on this years ago on this forum and it fell on deaf ears. Seems hunters are more supportive of trappers now so maybe you guys can help them push to get more lines active again

Quick note for all who are curious.
    I have been reading various threads on social media regarding the low numbers of ungulates in various regions of B.C. The fingers are getting pointed at poaching, too many hunters and loss of habitat.

Here's the deal, and again, I'm not scared to yell it out.

It is predation by canines, cats and bears - period.

As an example, I personally spend around 250 plus days a year in the woods across the province. In the 'Sea to Sky' corridor ( I will use as an example), there is literally thousands of square kilometres of UN touched habitat. In this habitat, wolves are expanding out and staying in areas where they have not been present the last 15 years I have been running around those areas basically full time.
    Of the dozens of migration routes I personally monitor ( alone on my own dime) with over 30 cameras year round, I see and note 100% the rise of predators and decline of ungulates. The deer alone in the un touched mature timbered mountains I am running around in are around 30% of what they 'were' around 5 to 7 years ago. NO, human predation has nothing to do with this ( as well confirmed by reg 2 bios in the past).
    This is from canine, feline and bear predation - nothing more, nothing less.
    " Loss of habitat". How many ungulate carcasses have all of you come across dead from starvation this last year due to loss of habitat? Or previous years? I am not finding ANYTHING laying on the ground - anywhere.

The #1 problem is high predation. Again, I will scream it out, DEAL WITH THIS !!! Beating up humans for low ungulate numbers has never made it better and is not going to ( shoten seasons, cut back tags, finger pointing).

Moving along, I had to postpone my 3 days of wolf recon trip, I'll be hitting this Sat -on. I am as well currently working on a solid menu with others on how to smoothly tackle this issue and get it done. Will have all in line mid next week and we shall fix this together. NO MORE waiting on others, every single one of us is going to make the ungulate numbers jump starting NOW and we will take better care of them starting NOW where it COUNTS !!

Dont stop you guys !! Make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Quick note for all who are curious.
    I have been reading various threads on social media regarding the low numbers of ungulates in various regions of B.C. The fingers are getting pointed at poaching, too many hunters and loss of habitat.

Here's the deal, and again, I'm not scared to yell it out.

It is predation by canines, cats and bears - period.

As an example, I personally spend around 250 plus days a year in the woods across the province. In the 'Sea to Sky' corridor ( I will use as an example), there is literally thousands of square kilometres of UN touched habitat. In this habitat, wolves are expanding out and staying in areas where they have not been present the last 15 years I have been running around those areas basically full time.
    Of the dozens of migration routes I personally monitor ( alone on my own dime) with over 30 cameras year round, I see and note 100% the rise of predators and decline of ungulates. The deer alone in the un touched mature timbered mountains I am running around in are around 30% of what they 'were' around 5 to 7 years ago. NO, human predation has nothing to do with this ( as well confirmed by reg 2 bios in the past).
    This is from canine, feline and bear predation - nothing more, nothing less.
    " Loss of habitat". How many ungulate carcasses have all of you come across dead from starvation this last year due to loss of habitat? Or previous years? I am not finding ANYTHING laying on the ground - anywhere.

The #1 problem is high predation. Again, I will scream it out, DEAL WITH THIS !!! Beating up humans for low ungulate numbers has never made it better and is not going to ( shoten seasons, cut back tags, finger pointing).

Moving along, I had to postpone my 3 days of wolf recon trip, I'll be hitting this Sat -on. I am as well currently working on a solid menu with others on how to smoothly tackle this issue and get it done. Will have all in line mid next week and we shall fix this together. NO MORE waiting on others, every single one of us is going to make the ungulate numbers jump starting NOW and we will take better care of them starting NOW where it COUNTS !!

Dont stop you guys !! Make a difference.
    I agree. On many of my hunts I'm seeing more bears and wolves than ungulates, and more cougar tracks than deer tracks. Definitely out of balance.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

325 Alerted me to this thread. I’ve read it over and agree with most of what has been said here, so I guess I’ll put my two bits worth on here too.

I trap in region 7-49 and 7-50 Killed over 40 wolves the last two years (most of those in 7-50) It has made a massive difference in the wolf sign Dad and I see over the summer when packing (Steamboat Mountain Outfitters)

I almost couldn’t trap this year, but the GO (same GO helped me get started with both $$ and teaching) said he would pitch in and that helped.

While I wish I didn’t need to ask for funding and could just trap for fun, that just isn’t a reality at the present.
    Before this post came up I had determined I probably couldn’t continue to trap wolves all at my own expense again next year and was trying to figure who and how to ask for support.
    For me the timing of this movement is perfect if people really do want this done (wolves killed).

Last edited by tanner; 01-11-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    While I wish I didn’t need to ask for funding and could just trap for fun, that just isn’t a reality at the present.
    As a licensed trapper, can you sell the hides or skulls to members on this site? I'd like to buy a skull, if it's legal. Might be a way of raising funds. I bet many members would like to buy a skull if they knew the proceeds were going towards getting more skulls