Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Re: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Okay, I'm really confused here, according to FD wolves aren't a threat to Deer, somebody please set me straight! K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Okay, I'm really confused here, according to FD wolves aren't a threat to Deer, somebody please set me straight! K
    Don’t believe everything FD(not just FD to be fair)tells you and read multiple studies. You will see different results in different studies so look at multiple sources this goes for everything!!

Example I read with the highest level of wolf predation on deer is a study on Northern Vancouver Island showing high wolf predation on BT over 50% if memory is correct (google it yourself to be sure)

To give FD some credit yes there is a study showing 1% predation in Utah I believe

Read enough studies on wolf predation involving deer and you will see levels of wolf predation on deer vary in each area. Some locations low impact some high but each area is different according to available prey.

No matter which study you read wolves have an impact on ungulates species

Wolves are major predators of ungulates over-all. However cougar, grizzly and black bear also play significant roles in predation. Reducing all 4 species concurrently is the ideal
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

guest Guest

It's HAMMER TIME!!

Lovin it!

Pg66 you are the man. As dedicated and knowledgable as they come. Your feet are on the ground and your no nonsense, no bs attitude is what drives this initiative forward. The total dedication to the cause is epic. I’ve marvelled at your pursuits and understanding of wildlife in the past. I have huge respect for how you approach, how you share, and commit. When the conversation comes to the cats and dogs of the wild and their effects I really think you’ve nailed it. I hunt cougars with hounds on Vancouver island and many times we won’t run a cat track in certain areas because of the abundance of wolves in the same area and general vacinity. The balance of the scale is definitely leaning on the predator side right now in most areas. We need the snow to be successful hunting the preds and at the same time the ungulates are more vulnerable to predatation and starvation with larger amounts of snow. Habitat loss just makes for greater concentration of ungulates in smaller areas that are favourable for them to winter in. Preds hammer the crap out of those same areas. Some timber patches become polluted with preds as they’ve got the fish in a barrel scenario when old man winter decides to hit hard and stick around. Keep up the great work. More feet on the ground and less asses in the chair will bring the balance back. Support the trappers and get out and give Intel when you can, and to who you can.you just might get a crack at one or a pack while your out there doing your part. Looking for pred sign is also a way of scouting for deer hunting. It’s a win win to get out there. It all will make a difference.
    Buckerup

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Example I read with the highest level of wolf predation on deer is a study on Northern Vancouver Island showing high wolf predation on BT over 50% if memory is correct (google it yourself to be sure)
    I was going to say, there is no way 1% is accurate on the Island ! Just like proguide66 said, if anyone is lucky enough to get an elk draw take note of how many deer you see !

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Islander30 View Post
    I was going to say, there is no way 1% is accurate on the Island ! Just like proguide66 said, if anyone is lucky enough to get an elk draw take note of how many deer you see !
    you mean ..... HOW MANY YOU DONT SEE ! Your right though. My bro lives on the island and it's far far what it used to be. BUT ...... There's tons of Deer in TOWN

Quote Originally Posted by buckerup View Post
    Pg66 you are the man. As dedicated and knowledgable as they come. Your feet are on the ground and your no nonsense, no bs attitude is what drives this initiative forward. The total dedication to the cause is epic. I’ve marvelled at your pursuits and understanding of wildlife in the past. I have huge respect for how you approach, how you share, and commit. When the conversation comes to the cats and dogs of the wild and their effects I really think you’ve nailed it. I hunt cougars with hounds on Vancouver island and many times we won’t run a cat track in certain areas because of the abundance of wolves in the same area and general vacinity. The balance of the scale is definitely leaning on the predator side right now in most areas. We need the snow to be successful hunting the preds and at the same time the ungulates are more vulnerable to predatation and starvation with larger amounts of snow. Habitat loss just makes for greater concentration of ungulates in smaller areas that are favourable for them to winter in. Preds hammer the crap out of those same areas. Some timber patches become polluted with preds as they’ve got the fish in a barrel scenario when old man winter decides to hit hard and stick around. Keep up the great work. More feet on the ground and less asses in the chair will bring the balance back. Support the trappers and get out and give Intel when you can, and to who you can.you just might get a crack at one or a pack while your out there doing your part. Looking for pred sign is also a way of scouting for deer hunting. It’s a win win to get out there. It all will make a difference.
    Buckerup
    Excellent post!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Another 30cm or more forecast on top of that!
    Oh its gonna be a fun weekend getting around and resetting all snares...

Thumbs up Re: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    ... A side note, when I helped a guy with his island elk draw west of Seward, I noted I saw zero deer, 1 bear and piss loades of elk. SO, could it not make sense the wolves are reproducing accordingly with the elk herd BUT they are eating the easier to kill deer FIRST ??
    I have a feeling THIS is what is going on as it makes total sense !!
    Anyway, still, the ultimate recipe to more deer ( and moose) is definitely knocking back the current wolf pop as their reproductive system is reproducing according to the elk pop, NOT the deer. But the deer pop is paying for it.
    Thoughts ??
    I think right along those same lines my Friend.
    Gone now are the days of seeing hundreds of blacktails over the season on The Rock.
    Yes, pockets still exist, but the overall numbers are down, and down significantly.

On the other hand elk (where they are not being poached into extirpation) numbers appear to be climbing in many areas.
    That would rather strongly suggest that the wolves here have a decided preference for blacktails. No surprises really, they are smaller and easier to take down, requiring less in the way of both pack numbers and effort.

Wolf sign at the same time has increased exponentially.
    Funny thing, and yeah - anecdotal evidence again, but in the many piles of wolf crap I've wandered across in the past 7 or 8 years, only twice was there elk hair / bone present. Conversely well over half that had deer hair / bones in it.

I'd hazard a guess that when the deer population drops to critically low, that the wolves might switch over to elk.
    But even so, I also believe they will opportunistically nail any unfortunate blacktail that wanders through their crosshairs.

Pleased with your initiative here Steve!
    Would like to learn more about this Ungulate Foundation of which you speak...

Keep up the good work! Certainly Appreciated!

Cheers,
    Matt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me