Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wall Tent Heater Options

Re: Wall Tent Heater Options

only Smell of diesel is for the quick second that you drop a burning pc of paper inside when lighting it. There is a small glass porthole on top and that’s where you light it from. Once it’s burning you smell nothing. My tent has no smell of fuel at all. I would not be able to stand it if smelt of diesel stink. I have the expedition model from their website 30,000 btu and have never turned it up past low. The 12000btu would work great I think.
    Last edited by Brew; 01-07-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

If building a stove be sure you make it lone enough to handle 24 in wood. Don't try filling it with 2x4 mill ends, they burn to fast and the stove will dance
    around and fill the tent with smoke, trying to get more oxygen.

If cutting wood on site don't be scared to cut dead poplar, in a stove it burns long and slow, great for nighttime and cooking.
    Ben dare dun dat. I used to have and use a 12 x 14, nice way to hunt or camp.
    One other bit of wisdom. Remember with a fire, wood likes company. In other words two logs or chunks of wood laying together will burn much better
    then a single piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    only Smell of diesel is for the quick second that you drop a burning pc of paper inside when lighting it. There is a small glass porthole on top and that’s where you light it from. Once it’s burning you smell nothing. My tent has no smell of fuel at all. I would not be able to stand it if smelt of diesel stink. I have the expedition model from their website 30,000 btu and have never turned it up past low. The 12000btu would work great I think.
    Yea i could not stand the smell either - Thanks for the Well Explained answer BARRY ! RJ

I kind of like the smell of diesel but my stove does not emit any smell whatsoever except, as Brew says, when I'm lighting it.

Nobody else has made this comment, so I will: I ran the diesel heater for two seasons then tried a wood burner for sh*ts and giggles. Embers from the wood stove played hell with our tent. Never had a single ember when we were using diesel.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Slickfork View Post
    If building a stove be sure you make it lone enough to handle 24 in wood. Don't try filling it with 2x4 mill ends, they burn to fast and the stove will dance
    around and fill the tent with smoke, trying to get more oxygen.

If cutting wood on site don't be scared to cut dead poplar, in a stove it burns long and slow, great for nighttime and cooking.
    Ben dare dun dat. I used to have and use a 12 x 14, nice way to hunt or camp.
    One other bit of wisdom. Remember with a fire, wood likes company. In other words two logs or chunks of wood laying together will burn much better
    then a single piece.
    Thanks for the pointers Slickfork. Was gonna make it for 18” logs but might try the 24” and see how I like it. I’m also going to put a baffle in top of stove for efficiency, heat, and reduced sparksout the pipe. When I get it up and running I’ll post some pics.(might be awhile but it will eventually get done)

We made a stove out of an old steal compressor tank, about 36 inches long, cut the end bulb square, for the flat door, holds heat all night long, no need to light new sticks in the am, lots of coals to get them going in the morning, load her up full before sleep, close the damper, all night heat, love it, only down fall a bit heavy for one guy to haul.