Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison ground

Venison ground

Hi all

Not exactly a recipe, more of a question about processing.

I took a big necked, big bodied whitetail during the rut out of region 3 in November.

I did not do the butchering. I had it done by a good shop that has always done a great job for me.

My problem is with the ground meat. All my steaks, chops and roasts taste awesome but the ground meat was foul. I couldn't cook it inside, let alone eat it.

Any thoughts? My thinking was that some tallow got into the grinder but im not sure.

Ive since turned the ground into sausage and the smoke and spices has covered the bad taste.

Love to hear if anyone else has had an experience like this and what may have caused it.

Cheers

Chris

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Venison ground

i find beef fat added to venison makes it taste bad along with smell.now i strictly add pork picnic now.

You must trim fat and whatnot from your venison if you are sensitive to “gamey” taste . The fat is where it comes from and once frozen for a while tends to get stronger. Most butchers don’t trim. fat for ground as it’s time consuming
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

I should add when I make my ground venison I do not add pork or beef fat as it is unnessary , little olive oil when cooking works great
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    You must trim fat and whatnot from your venison if you are sensitive to “gamey” taste . The fat is where it comes from and once frozen for a while tends to get stronger. Most butchers don’t trim. fat for ground as it’s time consuming
    I wouldnt consider myself sensitive to the "gamey" taste but i know what you mean. The more i think about it, the taste has to be from the fat that wasnt cleaned away.

I also like the idea of no fat added and using the oil. Would that work with rendered bear fat?

Hi ...I found I was having the same problem with my elk burger..Started a thread and asked for advice..My elk is wonderful now after telling my butcher I wanted EXTRA LEAN hamburger and no fat added..That's my suggestion..Dennis..

Why let anyone add anything to your game, unless you have tons of experience with that butcher and trust them explicitly? I ask them to gimme steaks, roasts and just grind the rest, I'll add the fat whether it be beef or pork later on prior to cooking depending on the planned use.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

dude you got x pounds ground deer for x pounds of too be ground you provided.. they grind all at once mixing your deer with someonelses gut shot sun cooked deer not kidding..ill bet i can guess the butcher?

^^^^^ What he said. Do yourself a favor and do it yourself from now on. I have, and no more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    dude you got x pounds ground deer for x pounds of too be ground you provided.. they grind all at once mixing your deer with someonelses gut shot sun cooked deer not kidding..ill bet i can guess the butcher?
    I did wander that also. I hope its not the case.