Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tracks on an ATV??

Re: Tracks on an ATV??

Another thing to remember is where your tires climb an obstacle, your tracks try to dig under it.

In my opinion the best recipe for snow is a big, big block, 500+ cubes, and 46-54" tires spun on Gamma goat running gear.

But I guess sleds work too. Just no heater.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Another thing to remember is where your tires climb an obstacle, your tracks try to dig under it.

In my opinion the best recipe for snow is a big, big block, 500+ cubes, and 46-54" tires spun on Gamma goat running gear.

But I guess sleds work too. Just no heater.
    Here is what some of those snow beast can do. Please excuse the profanity in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvu1Y6hdDk
    Last edited by Buckmeister; 01-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I remember some of those posts from back in the BC4x4 days... can you still FIND gamma goat parts???

Ive used tracks on an Arctic cat 500 for about ten years in Manitoba. A few years ago we had about 5 feet of snow without much wind so the snow stayed quite soft. That year I had to park my 500 polaris sled about January cause i kept getting stuck and having to walk back home to get the quad to pull me out and pull my sled back home. The quad could drive right past the sled hook on and pull it right out no problem. My polaris is not a mountain sled by any means but it does ok most years. Late March that year we went out across lots of small lakes that were slushed up and with that deep snow. Me on the quad and my friend with an old Alpine. The Alpine had lots of problems in the bush getting stuck so I made trail there but out on the lake in the slush I had lots of problems. As soon as the tracks dug down to the ice there i sat. The alpine could pull right up to me and tug me to get me out of the slush areas.

Theres lots of things about either that are better wheels tracks or sleds, and its nice to be able to go out with others that have experience with them. Those little trucks on Buckmeisters video sure look fun as well.

Just to throw another wrench in the works, check with your insurance company and confirm that you are still covered while on tracks. Mine is void as soon as I put my tracks on and I've been searching for 5 years to find someone to provide me with liability insurance.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

There was a thread about this before Christmas this was my reply then..........................Tracks are amazing you will get to places you never thought you could go. I ran tracks for 15 years on multiple machines and never had any track related damage or wear. If you do have a machine with worn bearings and parts, yes you will see the problems come to light no question. Tracks do use more fuel no doubt, but you can save a lot more fuel when it sits cause you can not use it. so you can get to places it takes fuel but well worth it. I have been out in 5 feet of snow get to top of mountain and in timber there is less than a foot and tracks every where. So there is a major advantage in tracks on a well maintained machine Side by side and atv it is all the same.

They will climb stupid steep hills from dead stop they are quieter than a sled and more track on the ground. You can side hill but you are not able to use your body as you can on a single track sled. You can pack or drag a bigger load and animal up or down hill . There is nothing wrong with buying good used tracks, but get information about them, do not take sellers word that they will fit anything cause that is just not true, most times they do not know and that is what some salesman told them and they did not know much about tracks either. Tracks are weight rated so the newer systems are designed for UTV and ATV. If you find a good used set you are interested in ask someone who knows for sure how old the systems are and if they can even be swapped to your machine. If you can get a picture of tracks from inside and outside and if you can see serial # get that too. Tracks have changed so much in the last 20 years and they are amazing.

For the some of you that had problems I would guess they might have been older system and just worn out, possibly wrong machine for that track and tracks not adjusted properly , and if you put them on a tired worn out machine they will start to show you all the worn out parts pretty fast.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

I have a set of Camoplast 4S with like 100km of snow use on them.$2500

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by plumbcrazy View Post
    I have a set of Camoplast 4S with like 100km of snow use on them.$2500
    What were they on ? Do you know the model of 4S or age ?
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    Just to throw another wrench in the works, check with your insurance company and confirm that you are still covered while on tracks. Mine is void as soon as I put my tracks on and I've been searching for 5 years to find someone to provide me with liability insurance.
    The asked the fellow I deal with to get my quad insured about tracks and he went and did his homework. My policy papers asks "Wheels" or "Tracks", but no spot for both. I explained I used both and wanted to know if I was covered. He got back to me a month later. He said to put down "wheels" as that is what is on the machine for the majority of the use, but he said I was good to go if tracks were on the machine. It is the open skies policy. Slinky, PM me if you want to know the office I deal with.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""