Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tracks on an ATV??

Re: Tracks on an ATV??

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Blew the drive belt. Wasn’t my machine, I would have expected them to have a spare! Had to phone friends with sleds to come deliver new belts. We were in 2’ of fresh snow. Stranded for about 6 hours

My tundra is an 2007.
    Well that's not too bad.I carry several spares and my particular ride is low geared with spot on clutching so i'll probably never have to change one but if I do i'm ready. Have a skandic and a summit for sale right now.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

There are certain machines that are prone to bad belts. I know I had a POS can-am for a short time and went through 3 belts in a few months. I have owned many grizzly ATV's and put 15000 kms on each and never had one belt slip ever. If you have something that is prone to break, pack parts, but they are not the fault of the tracks.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

can ams you have to put it in low as power when hunting I also use the low power key

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    There are certain machines that are prone to bad belts. I know I had a POS can-am for a short time and went through 3 belts in a few months. I have owned many grizzly ATV's and put 15000 kms on each and never had one belt slip ever. If you have something that is prone to break, pack parts, but they are not the fault of the tracks.
    If you HAD ?? 3 belts go in a few months THERE was a Problem with the Clutch's Or CLutch Belt alignment ! Its NOT a inherent Problem with Can Ams Many go thousands and thousands of kms JUST like Yamahas and Polaris etc do ! JMO RJ

Def pros and cons. Everyone I know that's ran tracks on sxs's or quads have had broken diffs, cv's and belts but then again they rat bag the piss out of them.

As someone else mentioned steep side hilling is an issue.

On the other hand sleds don't reverse worth a crap and need a football field to turn around unless you can lay it on its side and power it through the turn, but you still need 15feet.

If long distance and open terrain is the primary features then a sled wins, but if tighter trails/roads will be more frequent then go tracks.

Then theres the big tire truck idea.. I have 2 Toyotas on 38" tires and they are almost unstoppable, especially chained up. I've yet to get stuck in snow or find their depth limitations.
    Last winter I was out in 100mile, -35c on my sled, we were getting stuck on flat ground. The snow was dry and deep. It was over the sled, just bars poking out like a periscope. No exaggeration.
    The next morning I took my Toyota out on the same route and just idled along like nothing.
    I've even had to break trail for tracked quads and sxs's and it's not much bigger than a sxs, but with the comfort of windows, heater, music and a place to lay down for a nap.

I couldnt even imagine what it'd do on tracks.

Busterpayton some of those Toyotas I've seen with 38's + aired right down are pretty cool. They seem to go damn near anywhere in deep snow.

I forget who the guy on here is that built tracks for his jeep I think he's from salmon arm area?

it is all fun till your way in there and things let go

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Busterpayton some of those Toyotas I've seen with 38's + aired right down are pretty cool. They seem to go damn near anywhere in deep snow.

I forget who the guy on here is that built tracks for his jeep I think he's from salmon arm area?
    Slinky Pickle on here has th KOOL Jeep TJ On Tracks ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by okas View Post
    it is all fun till your way in there and things let go
    No different than a sled. Have been on many helicopter recoveries over the years for broken snowmobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Slinky Pickle on here has th KOOL Jeep TJ On Tracks ! RJ
    Yep, Slinky Pickle, check post #7 on this thread to see his Youtube vid of the Jeep.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""