Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF- Regulations input wanted

BCWF- Regulations input wanted

Have Your Say

Proposed hunting, trapping, motor vehicle restriction and firearms restriction regulation changes for 2018 to 2020 are now online and available for public review and feedback.

The opportunity for public comment ends Jan. 19, 2018.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0373-002078

Make sure to Like and Share us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BCWF- Regulations input wanted

Can someone (either a BCWF representative or other person) point me to something that actually defines/explains the meaning behind these quotes from the regulation change rationale:

"...as a commitment to First Nations’ harvest opportunity, in line with the hierarchy of harvest prioritization for culturally significant big-game species, such as moose"

and

"
    This change is considered an interim measure to support local First Nations’ harvest opportunity and to ..."

My concerns are based on the ideal of science-based wildlife management, but I don't want to go off if it turns out I am misinterpreting the rationale.
    1) If there is harvest prioritization, at what harvest level is that prioritization deemed to have reached a satisfactory level? Do we know how many of what species/sex First Nations harvest?

2) If a First Nations is entitled to harvest ANY moose of ANY sex/age at ANY time how does shortening a season affect their harvest opportunity?

Anecdotally I have seen a significant decrease in Moose populations in 7B over the past 10 years, at the same time I have seen hunters move elsewhere in response to the lack of game. My concern is that the way the rationale is worded, if I were to re-phrase it in lay-mans terms it would be:
    "We want to make sure there are enough Moose for Natives"
    Again, I don't necessarily have an issue with this SO LONG AS we have a definition of what the word "enough" means and we know how many Moose First Nations are harvesting. I don't see either of those questions answered.

I second that....what does it mean???

guest Guest

Well put David.

Accountability by ALL would be a good start ........ Mandatory reporting by ALL

Well that is a depressing read looks like the natives a GO's are out to restrict resident hunters even farther.

leave the month of any buck with guns slaughter and remove the late archery season ?? How’s that gonna help rebuild mule deer populations? Bizarre .region 8 muley s are doomed
    Last edited by stan; 01-03-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Whoever came up with this should go for a walk on some Okanagan winter range and have a look

Not sure why we are changing the West Kootenay Elk season due to one MU with low numbers. 4-15 is poor Elk habitat at best. We will just see more hunters crammed into less days.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Not sure why we are changing the West Kootenay Elk season due to one MU with low numbers. 4-15 is poor Elk habitat at best. We will just see more hunters crammed into less days.
    Yup....that would be my suspicion on what will happen.

Make sure to get your voice heard on these potential changes!

Share the link to your club and networks.
    Make sure to Like and Share us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife