Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do ya shoot?

Thumbs up What do ya shoot?

Just wondering what all you HBCers shoot for bows out there? Compond, longbow, recurve, and crossbows? Poundage, draw length, arrows, broadhead, what make of bow? Do ya hunt deer, bear, sheep, moose or elk?

I have a couple of chekmate longbows. One at 59# and 70# at 28inch draw. I shoot fir or port orford cedar arrows. I usually use zuwicky broadheads but have tried grizzlys and liked them. Planning on making some of my own broadheads in the future. Cut a peice of yew that is curing in the basement last spring for a selfbow. I have never owned a recurve but will in the future for sure. I have a couple PSE compounds that I shoot once in a while in the back yard for fun. I pretty much like shooting in the back yard after work to wind down. I have shot a few blacktail deer and half dozen black bear with the longbow. Plan on trying to get a moose one day for sure but sheep, goat, elk, cougar, grizzly... All would be nice one day.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What do ya shoot?

OK, Alpine Teton Light T2 hatchet cams, 30.5" draw length, with a 3D Golden Rover rest, Scope Mountain sight. Set at 66# currently firing 2413 XX78, soon to be carbon(of undetermined brand). Tipped with a 90gr Muzzy 4 blades, or 100gr Thunderhead.
    Used this bow on several deer, and bears.
    I'll try to get some pics up once I get my camera back.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Bear Silverback compound, 29" draw lenght, set at 68 pounds. Shooting Easton XX75 2315 tipped with Muzzy 125 grain. I hunt deer with it and will try for an Elk next fall.

Troutseeker

Ok here goes

primary hunting bow
    2003 Bowtech Extreme VFT- Camo 73#'s 30.5" draw pushing a carbon force 400 topped with a 100 grain montec g5 at 297ft/sec have hunted deer, moose, bear and elk with it.... so far killed 2 bear, 2 deer

Primary 3D bow and back-up hunting rig
    2004 Bowtech Extreme VFT- black Marble 69#'s 30.5" draw pushing a gold tip series 22 with 80 grain glue in tips at 307 ft/sec

New toy on the way for FITA
    2001 Hoyt sapphire - 55#'s 30.5" draw not sure what I'm gonna shoot outta this one yet

THE FRUSTRATER
    PSE Impala takedown recurve 45#'s @28" draw, shooting gold tip 3555's with 85 grain tip.....man I hate this bow

Thats it for now unless I can horse trade for another good bow soon!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

70# Champion Titan, Gold Tip XT's, 100 grain Rocky Mountain Snypers, Simmons Sharks Bushmaster Quiver, The Answer Release and Tru Ball Loopmaster, Sightmaster Elite 2000, Muzzy Zero Effect, No-Peep.
    Have not yet kiiled anything but have been at full draw on a bear at 19 yards, and full draw on a wolf twice at 30 yards.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

I have a Mathew's Ultralight set at 57#. 28" draw. I use muzzy 125gr broadheads on PSE dominator carbon arrows. I have a gold premier rest. I have shot 2 Blacktail bucks 2004 and a Blacktail Doe 2003. I started bowhunting in 2003, and I'm lovin' it.

My Bow and Hunting Setup

Realtree camo
    Mathews Feathermax (28" draw .... 65 lbs)
    Zebra Twist string
    Gold Tip XT 5575's (4" vanes)
    Montec G5 - 100 gr broadheads
    Savage Pendulum sight W/nighthawk pin and Duelly pin
    Original Whisker Biscuit Rest (modified)
    inline peep
    Limb Savers
    10" Vibracheck Stablizer
    Bracklynn release (need new one soon)
    Last edited by buckee; 01-21-2005 at 12:25 PM.

rrfred Guest

50 lb recurve- love it!!- use 100gr bear razorheads- work well, also use a 45 lb self made bow, like making a self bow, never enuff time but when I do, always rewarded with a modest pulling 40-50 lbs homemade stick-slinger, also have an a xbow for the kid and when I am too lazy-all of my archery animals have been whiteails and blacktailed deer, did draw on a blackie once but popped him with my 308 when he got too close and the tables turned, little bitta' pucker factor on that one- cheers rrfred

I have 4 Bows I shoot.

For Hunting Hoyt Razortec 70Lbs 28" with easton mossy oak obsession 340 arrows with 100 gr. Wasp SST Hammers , trophy ridge flatliner sight,NAP Quick tune 1000 rest,and a doinker hunter stabilizer.
    Backup Hunting bow Hoyt MT Sport 70Lbs 28" with gold tips with Wasp SST hammers 100 grains Cobra sight, TM hunter rest, Hoyt 12" Stabilizer.

3D Hoyt Razortec 60Lbs 28" with easton excel 400, Trophy ridge matrix sight, Nap Quicktune 3000 rest, Hoyt 10" stabilizer

For fun Bear Silverback 70Lbs 28.5 shooting with fingers with xx75 2314 arrows. No sight and no stabilizer just a flipper rest.

I think thats it.

BC4Bowhunter

Chekmate attila recurve 60 pounds has been my primary for a few years
    and taken a few deer with it

Chekmate Longbow 55pounder

I also have a golden eagle compound that I am playing with