Thread: The Correct use of Electronic collars for obedience and Field Training Work Shop

The Correct use of Electronic collars for obedience and Field Training Work Shop

March 3rd and 4th 2018
    Presented by Heads up Kennels and Anne Everett.

The first day will begin with a session on how to fit the e-collar and discovering what level of stimulation is appropriate for your dog. We will then discuss the theory behind the use of e-collars, as well as their mis-use. The balance of theworkshop will be devoted to teaching you the trainer the appropriate use of the e-collar in obedience and field training programs.
    A number of obedienceand field exercises will be covered over the two days. You will have the opportunity to participate in each session, based on the level of understandingyour dog has of the obedience or field skill that is the focus of that session. For example, your dog must understand the heel command before that command isreinforced with the e-collar.

This workshop is registrant driven, so please do nothesitate to ask for clarification, or for a session to be repeated if you are unsure about methodology

*****Participant dogs wishing to apply the e-collar to fieldtraining must have a reliable retrieve to hand and good obedience skills. Fetchand hold commands will not be covered in this workshop.

Anne Everett has been involved with the CKC hunt test program since its inception. She is qualified to judge at all levels of hunt tests,field trials, as well as HRC hunts. Anne has earned over 180 Master passes on 18 different dogs, 6 UKC HRCH's, and 6 UKCUH's. She has also earned Qualifying wins, as well as Open and Junior field trial placements with her dogs. She has titled 6 Grand Master Hunters inCanada, as well as 16 Master Hunters and a number of Junior and Senior dogs. Anne has also earned CKC OTCH titles on two dogs and has numerous High in Trials in the obedience ring. She earned the first OTCH-MH title combination ona Golden Retriever in Canada.
    The workshop will be held at Heads Up Kennels in Merville,BC on March 3-4, 2018. The classroom session will be on Saturday morning; the remainder of the time will be spent in the training building and in the field(weather permitting). Participants will be limited to 12 working handlers. 1 dogper handler limit. The cost for the workshop is $300 for a working spot, $150 for an audit spot. 10 audit spots areavailable. Registration closes when the workshop fills. No refunds afterFebruary 15, 2018. Information on local accommodation and directions to theworkshop will be sent out with your confirmation of registration. This is a working clinic. Bring your dog, lunch, a chair, and your fully charged e-collar. Please contact Anne if you require assistance with purchasing ane-collar prior to the workshop. Dress appropriately for the weather. Parking and airing areas will be available on the kennel grounds.
    To reserve a spot, please fill in the on-line registrationat https://tinyurl.com/headsupe-collaror mail attached form. Your registration is not complete until full payment is received. Payment may be made by: e-transfer to headsupdogtraining@shaw.ca or mail a cheque made out to Anne Everett at: Anne Everett Box 271, Merville, BC V0R 2M0
    FMI: contact Anne at headsupdogtraining@shaw.ca
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 01-03-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Correct use of Electronic collars for obedience and Field Training Work Shop

This is a GREAT opportunity!!

Anne is an awesome trainer. I highly recommend that if you are interested in the proper fair use of e-collars that you go to this. You will learn a ton auditing too.

Kas

Re: The Correct use of Electronic collars for obedience and Field Training Work Shop

As a complete rookie to this stuff, I've never used an e collar. And I won't be getting my Lab pup until probably July.

I've obtained a few of Bill Hillmann DVDs and intend on following his program including his approach on collar conditioning.

Would this workshop be of value to me at this point?
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Sounds fantastic. Too bad its not on the mainland for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    As a complete rookie to this stuff, I've never used an e collar. And I won't be getting my Lab pup until probably July.

I've obtained a few of Bill Hillmann DVDs and intend on following his program including his approach on collar conditioning.

Would this workshop be of value to me at this point?

My opinion is yes. While Bills videos are great, there is not a lot of "trouble shooting". For a first time retriever owner IMO there would be value in watching lots of different dogs getting "used" to an e collar and someone like Anne there to help them work through problems.

Lorne
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    Sounds fantastic. Too bad its not on the mainland for me
    I have gone to the Island for seminars in the past. I am going this year for one ...hopefully, if someone else drops out.
    ... I have also gone to Calgary and Saskatoon to seminars... I am far from wealthy It's am investment in my dog and the sport I love.

GO!!

Some folks prefer to audit workshops cause you actually see and hear more due to the fact that you don't have a dog to look after. Running a dog you miss somethings because you won't be in hearing distance all the time when the other dogs are working. If you are a student of the game, you need to see other dogs being taught. Hopefully, you will have more then one dog in your lifetime. They all are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    I have gone to the Island for seminars in the past. I am going this year for one ...hopefully, if someone else drops out.
    ... I have also gone to Calgary and Saskatoon to seminars... I am far from wealthy It's am investment in my dog and the sport I love.

GO!!
    Fully understand. I have spent 2 years training this one with an e collar already. I dont hunt birds with him........ I would just be curious to learn more thats all

Bump Bump Bump