Thread: Ti Goat 6.5 or S/O 4 man teepee?

Ti Goat 6.5 or S/O 4 man teepee?

Happy New Year All,

After a lengthy discussion with my hunting parter and wife, we have decided to get a teepee with a wood stove for our upcoming 2-3 month BC hunting trip. The idea is something large enough to be comfortable for 2 and gear for base camp (with cots etc) and something to be able to split and pack if we decide to do that (no cots ).

Having compared the 2 online, the cost is pretty much the same as is the size (Vertex 6.5 and 4 Man). Where they differ are in things like the Ti Goat has a removable screening for bugs, whereas the S/O has to be permanently sewn in.

Do any of you have experience with one and/or the other?

as an aside, we both have no problems being in a floorless shelter as we usually use tarps and quilts for ultralight thru hiking.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ti Goat 6.5 or S/O 4 man teepee?

My considerable experience with SO, has been stellar and I endorse their gear wholeheartedly. I had a questionable experience on the phone with TiGoat, so, never went back.

If, as I might, I do buy another heated shelter, it will be the SO Redcliff and probably a SXL stove. I feel the extra weight is worth packing for the greater space and more efficient (IMO) design.

we have a tigoat 7.5 tent with a liteoutdoors titanium stove, also a oware 11x11 pyramid tent with a tigoat stove boot, so another liteoutdoos stove is on order now, both tents and 1 stove is under ten pounds, so split between 2 guys very doable, 1 cooking tent 1 sleeping tent,
    Last edited by huntfish; 01-29-2018 at 10:29 PM.

I'm having a serious look at the Kifaru Sawtooth now.....

I have an 8 man Kifaru tipi w/ large stove. I got the liner (a must) and mosquito net (only used once). It's the perfect size for two hunters, gear, and firewood. Lots of room, and super comfy.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

We also use Seek Outside. We have 2 of the 8 man tipi tents. One has the lighter material and the other has a heavier weight material. I found seek Outside excellent to deal with and was fortunate enough to buy them when the Canadian Dollar was near par. My oldest son has no problem packing the 8 man LWT material tent and we use the other tent for base camp with a Nu Way propane heater. We have an Outdoor Lite stove for the other.

Not sure what the price difference is but have a look at the SO Redcliff. Super light for a hot tent (tent and stove are something like 7.5 lbs) and with two guys you can fit all the gear you want... the only downside is condensation, but if you're running a stove it'll burn off (and that'll be the same across the board with the tents you're looking at methinks).

I have the 6 man SO tepee with a stove. Great product. Outstanding service. The 4 man might be a bit small for two guys with cots and gear. The 6 man will handle 2 guys with cots, fire wood, gear and most importantly, room to spread our stuff out to dry without it getting in the way.

Thanks for all the input guys. My hunting partner is actually my wife, so we don't mind a little brokeback mountain as Aron Snyder says.....