Thread: Scopes

Threaded View

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Scopes

Quote Originally Posted by .300WSMImpact! View Post
    when choosing a scope so many things to think of, is it all just weight and glass or does this windage and long range stuff work or is it a gimmick, do i just stay with swarovski and leupold or is nightforce and huskama viable options, or even vortex viper HD, any advice or information would help
    Yes you are right, many things to think about and can be very overwhelming when looking at scopes to buy, one can waste a lot of time and money on something you don't need or don't like after the fact, do a little research on how scopes are put together internally with their adjustment systems,

I also struggled with what your asking a while back and there's many parts to buying a scope, Brand, Weight, Power Range, Reticle, Turret, internal MOA adjustment in elevation for long range shooting, What are you wanting to do with it ? Target shooting out to 1500 yards or a simple hunting application of 400 yards or less ? it seems now a days everyone wants the best of both worlds.....A long range hunting scope !

As far as brands go most every optic company makes what a guy wants in price and application, as BCBRAD has pointed out so well above you really need to test the functions at the range to ensure your scope is doing what you want it to do, regardless of the brand is it tracking properly with windage and elevation adjustments.

For me I found I really enjoy shooting out to 6-700 yards but most of my hunting is at half that range or less, I have found a compromise where I prefer a scope in the 3-15x44 or 4.5-14x40 range with a 30mm tube, a simple duplex reticle and a turret dial calibrated to a specific load or just an MOA dial, this fits my needs and is a good compromise to weight, size and power needed for the best of both worlds.

I have also found as I got older when at the RANGE I need a more than 10 power to be consistent with my target shooting, I also found I needed glasses !!!
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 12-31-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America