Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scopes

Re: Scopes

I have yet to buy into the whole long range thing. Partially because I dont necessarily agree with shots over 500 yards on game. This probably has to do with the fact that I dont have the skills or confidence to make that shot ethically. However some people on here do and that's awesome.

I went with good glass (Leica) in a medium power range (2.5-10x42) and 30mm tube. Capped turrets and a simple plex reticle. With my rifle zero'd at 250 I'm capable of hitting the kill zone out to about 300-350 yards. Never found the need to shoot further than 300 yet and didnt find the need for any better glass or scope power. Gets the job done!

I had a VX3L and for some reason I couldn't shoot worth a shit with it. Nice scope, good glass, I just couldn't find the target quick enough in hunting situations. Bought a Nightforce SHV used off eBay for an extra 5 or $600 and I can hit a little water bottle at 500 no problem now and target aquisition at close range is so much easier. I looked at better glass (Swaro Z5) but the durability of everyday hunting and the shit and abuse I put things through was a selling feature for me. I really don't care about an extra 10 oz, If I did I probably wouldn't have 3 beers in my pack!

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I have yet to buy into the whole long range thing. Partially because I dont necessarily agree with shots over 500 yards on game. This probably has to do with the fact that I dont have the skills or confidence to make that shot ethically. However some people on here do and that's awesome.

I went with good glass (Leica) in a medium power range (2.5-10x42) and 30mm tube. Capped turrets and a simple plex reticle. With my rifle zero'd at 250 I'm capable of hitting the kill zone out to about 300-350 yards. Never found the need to shoot further than 300 yet and didnt find the need for any better glass or scope power. Gets the job done!
    That is good just do not get bit by the bug as in the end less is more

As a follow up Mod7Rem and myself were at the range yesterday. It was a dull rainy day here with switching 10-20 mph/16-32 kph winds.

Due to the poor lighting we did a non-scientific test on scope brightness under such conditions. Scopes were NightForce 2.5x10, Vortex 4x16, SWFA 16x and 10x and a Sightron 111 6x24.

Each of us looked through these scopes one after another as the other passed the rifle to the bench in quick succession ( kind of real time evaluation).

It was agreed the Vortex was a step down from the others, this probably due to a dirty objective. The others had no determinable difference between them.

Mod 7 produced a 0.33 moa 5 shot group at 330 yards under challenging conditions with the 16x.

With the 10x mounted on a Tikka 280AI we were able to connect with an IPSC (basically a T-shirt sized steel) target at 1160 yards frequently. 6 mils elevation and 2 mils left to compensate for the wind. For practice we were shooting off the retical instead of dialing. Equal success with the 16x and a Tikka in 6.5 CM.

10x was fine for that distance and target size, a bit easier with the higher powered scope though.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Iv shot a bunch but never really over 500m, I just got a 6.5 creedmoore, and I want a scope that I can depend on, probably out to a km if possible. I want it to be light weight enough to pack around, but I doesnt have to be the lightness possible was this 3.5 or 4 by 10 and I have picked a brand yet. What do you think?

Nice shooting! Where is there a range that long?