Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Scopes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,635

    Scopes

    when choosing a scope so many things to think of, is it all just weight and glass or does this windage and long range stuff work or is it a gimmick, do i just stay with swarovski and leupold or is nightforce and huskama viable options, or even vortex viper HD, any advice or information would help

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    7A
    Posts
    18,827

    Re: Scopes

    What's the intended purpose?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Prince George BC 7-11
    Posts
    3,342

    Re: Scopes

    Weight and size are a factor depending on the terrain that it will be used. eg: a 50 mm objective lens 2 lb scope may not be ideal for a sheep rifle, alternatively a 1.5x5 Leupold may not suit the needs of a long range shooter.

    Some people crow about the 'glass' it's all about the glass, euro branded glass being almost orgasmic. The 'glass' has to be good enough to clearly see the target, generally the VXII or Vortex PST, in other words, mid-range quality, and the ilk work fine. Will not cause any issues at twilight = legal shooting hours. However, a quality lens will give the user better detail and contrast. Just depends if your activity requires that.

    A scope that does not employ an external system for compensation for the the bullets trajectory and the effects of wind, basically your regular old skool 3x9, will only be useful with in the kill zone of the animal hunted. This means if your 30-06 blue box 180gn Federals drops 9" at 300' with a 200 yard zero and the kill zone on a deer is ,lets say 10" then you are good for a bit more than 300' practical range for that cartridge/scope combination....so a reliable low-mid range scope would work just fine. Now if it was a 300 Weatherby that range could be extended to 400+ yards and may require a scope of more power than a 4X, but 4X is very doable.

    For longer than 300 yards, external adjustment (turrets) are the way to go in conjunction with a range finder. Not all turrets function as they should, this being some will not be accurate or linear in the adjustment range. There are several that are very good ,others not so much ( paying more does not always assure the most precise). The user must check the calibration of the turrets by testing at the range.

    A scope must hold zero, again this doesn't always happen. People spend a lot of time fiddling with loads, bullets , powders etc and can only achieve a 1.25" group, good enough for most hunting to be sure, some of the grouping issues are caused by the lack of a precise repeatable zero. If holding zero is an issue changing to a scope that works may half your groups.

    There is more to it than throwing money at a brand name.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Duncan
    Posts
    2,713

    Re: Scopes

    My guess would be, if you have to ask the question then you probably have not developed the shooting skills to take advantage of "long range stuff".

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,635

    Re: Scopes

    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    My guess would be, if you have to ask the question then you probably have not developed the shooting skills to take advantage of "long range stuff".
    lol thanks,

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,635

    Re: Scopes

    Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    Weight and size are a factor depending on the terrain that it will be used. eg: a 50 mm objective lens 2 lb scope may not be ideal for a sheep rifle, alternatively a 1.5x5 Leupold may not suit the needs of a long range shooter.

    Some people crow about the 'glass' it's all about the glass, euro branded glass being almost orgasmic. The 'glass' has to be good enough to clearly see the target, generally the VXII or Vortex PST, in other words, mid-range quality, and the ilk work fine. Will not cause any issues at twilight = legal shooting hours. However, a quality lens will give the user better detail and contrast. Just depends if your activity requires that.

    A scope that does not employ an external system for compensation for the the bullets trajectory and the effects of wind, basically your regular old skool 3x9, will only be useful with in the kill zone of the animal hunted. This means if your 30-06 blue box 180gn Federals drops 9" at 300' with a 200 yard zero and the kill zone on a deer is ,lets say 10" then you are good for a bit more than 300' practical range for that cartridge/scope combination....so a reliable low-mid range scope would work just fine. Now if it was a 300 Weatherby that range could be extended to 400+ yards and may require a scope of more power than a 4X, but 4X is very doable.

    For longer than 300 yards, external adjustment (turrets) are the way to go in conjunction with a range finder. Not all turrets function as they should, this being some will not be accurate or linear in the adjustment range. There are several that are very good ,others not so much ( paying more does not always assure the most precise). The user must check the calibration of the turrets by testing at the range.

    A scope must hold zero, again this doesn't always happen. People spend a lot of time fiddling with loads, bullets , powders etc and can only achieve a 1.25" group, good enough for most hunting to be sure, some of the grouping issues are caused by the lack of a precise repeatable zero. If holding zero is an issue changing to a scope that works may half your groups.

    There is more to it than throwing money at a brand name.
    thank you for the information and the time to respond

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    517

    Re: Scopes

    All the new scopes are just gimicks, stick to open sights.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,635

    Re: Scopes

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyduck View Post
    All the new scopes are just gimicks, stick to open sights.
    was thinking the same thing I could easily kill a coyote at 400 yards with my open sites

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Huntin grounds
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Scopes

    What type of crosshairs are you interested in .... I use the German #4 and the #1 also .... been hard to back to the traditional crosshairs

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    prince george
    Posts
    2,734

    Re: Scopes

    One thing a guy has to commit to with fancy scopes is a LOT of shooting to dial them in!! You don't just bolt one on and go hunting. And then you need all the other accessories like rangefinders, wind meters, quality shooting rests and such.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •