Thread: Youth licence eligibility

Youth licence eligibility

I’ve got a question for you folks.
    In the regs it states that a youth can get a youth licence at the age of 10yrs old. My question is with my son currently 9yrs old now and his birthday being in late November, is he eligible to get a licence next season, in the year he will be turning 10 yrs old?
    This would be a pleasant surprise as he’s been on lots of hunts with me, mostly waterfowl and the odd bear hunt. it sure would be exciting for him to move up from the 22 to the 243 to prepare for deer hunting.
    Your thoughts please.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth licence eligibility

You can get him his Youth licence on his 10th birthday from what I understand. After that he can shoot game under your licence. I believe he can't hunt Youth seasons until he has his own licence by passing his CORE. Again this is from the research I have done and folks I've talked to....

Regs are pretty clear must be at least 10. I do believe that children with a youth licence can hunt during youth seasons without having completed the core.

Youth Hunting Licence:
    No one under the age of 10 may hunt. A
    person who causes or allows a person under
    the age of 10 to hunt commits an offence.

Thanks guys.
    It looks like it will be a late season tag along.
    Looking forward to it.

Both my kids hunted and cut tags of mine once they were 10. My daughter's Bday is Nov 19th so the same issue happened. It's only 7 bucks and get more smiles than all the other gifts a 10 year old gets!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Both my girls hunted with a youth license using my tags from 10 until they chose to go for their core, only my younger daughter chose to continue hunting and passed her core. I may be reading it wrong but I thought that when they were hunting under my tags they could only hunt what I could hunt during seasons I could hunt. I definitely can not hunt either sex white tail all of November like my daughter now can with her own tags. Like I said I may be reading that wrong but I prefer to err on the side of caution rather than trying to explain how I interpret the sometimes vague regulations. For clarification I suggest you talk to a CO to get his/her interpretation.

Not challenging you, wondering where you read that youth without CORE could not hunt during youth season. I can't find this in the regs. My interpretation is that youth hunters are hunters between 10-18 with Youth Licence or with full licence. I would assume that youth Season is designed for any youth hunter. I cannot hunt antlerless during the month of November, however my 12 yr old son can so long as I am accompanying him and that I have a tag for the species.

If I am wrong, please point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    Both my girls hunted with a youth license using my tags from 10 until they chose to go for their core, only my younger daughter chose to continue hunting and passed her core. I may be reading it wrong but I thought that when they were hunting under my tags they could only hunt what I could hunt during seasons I could hunt. I definitely can not hunt either sex white tail all of November like my daughter now can with her own tags. Like I said I may be reading that wrong but I prefer to err on the side of caution rather than trying to explain how I interpret the sometimes vague regulations. For clarification I suggest you talk to a CO to get his/her interpretation.