Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunting traditional?

Re: Anyone hunting traditional?

As to the OP , yes and looking forward to next year . Indoor 3-D week-end 20th in Abbotsford would be an excellent jump start to your Trad Adventure look me up if you show . As Onesyder posts , lots of good information on here . Don`t get overwhelmed with all that`s out there , good form , practice and enthusiasum with an open mind are key .
    Nice to see a "Stick and String" thread !
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I am a single string hunter too. Have harvest three deer with my gear. Two with a selfbow and one with my recurve. I have a very productive plot of private land to hunt and that has been the majority of my success. Nice thing with bow only areas is they are usually close to urban areas and have higher concentrations of animals. If you can swing a trip to the TBBC shoot in Rock Creek you will get to meet a bunch of great folks, including the one and only Grey Bark and Outsyder, whom I finally met after many years of bs’ing online and who I now consider a friend. You could also check out a facebook group called “Canadian Traditional Archers” lots of smarty pants on that one too.
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander Hunting View Post
    I think that style of aiming is called "gap shooting". It works like a pin. Providing your anchor/draw are consistent.

If you want to take it up an notch, build one. There's a guy in b.c. who makes yew longbows and offers courses. Ravenbeak Nature Works. I took his weekend workshop in Calgary a few years ago. Really fun.
    Ok good to know thanks...

Actually bow weight for hunting is irrelevant as long as you shoot the bow accuratley. How accurate you say? I think you should be able to hit an 8inch circle every time on your first shot, preferably in the bottom half of the circle also. Only count tbe first shot of the day because in most hunting scenarios your only getting one shot. I know alot of traditional shooters and not many can say with 100% confidence that they can hit that 8 inch circle every time at 25yds.
    3D shooting is great fun and good practise however it is not hunting. When hunting you are in the worst conditions. Out of breath, shaking with excitement, frozen stiff from sitting in a stand at 20 below, and just waking up are some conditions that come to mind. All of this and its your first and only shot of the day. My recommendation is to keep shots from 10 to 15 yards.
    After reading what I just wrote Im trying to figure out why the hell I hunt with a stickbow? There must be easier ways to kill a deer but none as satisfying, not even close.

^^^^well said, can't wait to get my first harvest with my traditional...

Wow haven’t been on here for awhile this thread really took off! Was not expecting that.
    Have deffinitly been reading and watching tons on trad archery some stuff seems to help out a bit but mostly only keeping the fire going when I can be out shooting my bow. New bear AuSable came in and it’s awesome! Really smooth shooter love the 60lb draw really zips the arrows out there I’m getting a pretty consistent 184fps with a 550gr arrow set up my buddy put together. Really focusing on my anchor point and good back tension getting good groups I’m already happy with. Can’t wait to get in the tree with this thing

Quote Originally Posted by tailgate77 View Post
    I am a single string hunter too. Have harvest three deer with my gear. Two with a selfbow and one with my recurve. I have a very productive plot of private land to hunt and that has been the majority of my success. Nice thing with bow only areas is they are usually close to urban areas and have higher concentrations of animals. If you can swing a trip to the TBBC shoot in Rock Creek you will get to meet a bunch of great folks, including the one and only Grey Bark and Outsyder, whom I finally met after many years of bs’ing online and who I now consider a friend. You could also check out a facebook group called “Canadian Traditional Archers” lots of smarty pants on that one too.
    i might be able to make it down to the rock creek shoot don’t think I could do the Abbotsford we’ll see how work goes this year thanks for all the info to everyone! Turned out to be an awesome thread

trad here..use both longbow and recurve.. I have taken moose, elk , turkey ,grouse, deer , pronghorn , bear , wild boar ... have too many bows, used to use heavy bows but now my favorite weight is 55 # . I have old bows, and custom bows and a few selfbows...I am hooked and have been traditional for 21 years. good luck this fall. I did most of my hunting in Alberta but have been here for a few years now. tougher hunting here. But still very enjoyable. I wish we had more generous bow seasons...if you need any advise I can probably help you, but so can many others on this site. Sometimes i don't log in for awhile...

I've Hunted with Recurves and longbows for the past 25 years. Takes a bit more more skill and patience , but it's worth it. Have taken lots of small game, deer, bear, hogs, a couple moose, 3 Mt. Goat, and a Stone Sheep. Having to get close leads to some pretty awesome experiences. Ive been lucky enough to get a moose, Mt. Goat and Stone Sheep all between 5-7 yards, and had a Grizzly which I passed up (obviously wish I didn't now!) walk by at 12-15 feet.......you don't ever forget those moments...
    Last edited by TDHunter; 01-31-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Im hunting traditional. Well, I haven't done it yet. But I'm looking to tag along with some folks this year.