Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunting traditional?

Re: Anyone hunting traditional?

I've hunted grouse with my Bear Montana 50# longbow, and a hickory "boardbow" I made. Was really into the trad archery for a few years but got frustrated with not getting my groups tighter, or what I considered tight enough for hunting deer. so I went back to a compound bow.....for now.

It's definitely more of an art than a science, especially if you shoot instinctive. But hugely rewarding when you hit your target.

Cheers.
    John
    https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/

I use a 58" 44# Caribow, longbow, the Wolverine model, very quick shooting and easy to handle bow, also very beautiful. I also have the 64" Amisk model made by Caribow, it is 42#, plus I now have 3 recurve risers and 2 sets of limbs.

I use a 55# Sage Samick, haven't harvested anything with it yet, but very fun and rewarding to shoot...my max range on any big game animal for now, is 25 yards....can't wait for bow only elk season...I don't shoot instinctive, but rather after 1000's of shots, have developed a style of aiming directly down the arrow..shooting recurve is a fun sometimes frustrating challenge..

I didn't get out this year, fires and and then some personal things got in the way.

There's some good guys around (on here too) with a wealth of experience who are always willing to help a brother out, J.T. and Greybark come to mind straight away. My experiences taking deer with the one string had me wishing I had some on-hand mentorship. My nerves/adrenaline got the better of me and I missed my first deer more than once........ probably more than I miss on an entire season shooting 3D.

I learned some valuable lessons and will never underestimate making a critical shot, which I would have never known had I not experienced what I did. I took my first with a recurve and second with a longbow, both with manageable draw weights, good, sharp broad heads and as close as I can replicate to my 3D set-up for confidence and accuracy.

I maintain that those deer a I took was the most thrilling yet overwhelming things I have done in a life lived, a very levelling experience.

P.S.

EVERY decent archer aims, learn to do that, however/whichever system works for you and getting good on the one string game requires commitment (and often help from experience) but don't get drawn into the "instinctive archery" B.S. unless your ultimate goal is mediocrity. With practice, your aiming references drop into your sub-conscious anyway thus simplifying to process!

I pretend to hunt with my recurve lol

Sadly having issues with my elbow so no bow hunting last season but will try to shoot again soon and hope all goes well

When I first started bowhunting I used a Checkmate recurve then longbows. My real goal was to take a deer with a selfbow and wood arrow complete with stone point. It took me a few tries to get a good shooter. I even went so far as making a sinew string out of a moose leg sinew. I tried a few years without success then have 3 years running. I tell you if ever I'm going to have a Jammer it will be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I use a 55# Sage Samick, haven't harvested anything with it yet, but very fun and rewarding to shoot...my max range on any big game animal for now, is 25 yards....can't wait for bow only elk season...I don't shoot instinctive, but rather after 1000's of shots, have developed a style of aiming directly down the arrow..shooting recurve is a fun sometimes frustrating challenge..
    I think that style of aiming is called "gap shooting". It works like a pin. Providing your anchor/draw are consistent.

If you want to take it up an notch, build one. There's a guy in b.c. who makes yew longbows and offers courses. Ravenbeak Nature Works. I took his weekend workshop in Calgary a few years ago. Really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Awishanew View Post
    When I first started bowhunting I used a Checkmate recurve then longbows. My real goal was to take a deer with a selfbow and wood arrow complete with stone point. It took me a few tries to get a good shooter. I even went so far as making a sinew string out of a moose leg sinew. I tried a few years without success then have 3 years running. I tell you if ever I'm going to have a Jammer it will be doing that.
    Are you referring to a "jammer" as an adrenaline flushed missed opportunity? Seems I recall you had a few of those. A sharpshooter at 30yrds in a 3D, is 8 yeds your max when hunting? Or is it less than that?
    Last edited by J_T; 01-06-2018 at 10:00 PM.

The Jammer I was referring to was being lowered out of the stand and put in a body bag. And you are sooo right that comparison 30 yds. at 3D is about 8 yds. at a well adapted deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Awishanew View Post
    The Jammer I was referring to was being lowered out of the stand and put in a body bag. And you are sooo right that comparison 30 yds. at 3D is about 8 yds. at a well adapted deer.
    Got that Bunny with a drum working with me ! LOL
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC