Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunting traditional?

Anyone hunting traditional?

Any of you guys hunting with a recurve or long bow next year or have this year?
    let s hear some set up and first animals taken

I’ve got the trad bug this year forsure started off with a Martin jaguar 45lb upgraded to a Hoyt game master with 55lb limbs and just recently traded that for a brand new bear ausable 60lb longbow that I’m waiting to come in. Going to practice up this winter and get after some spot and stalk Black Bears in the spring! My fall plan is to clear a few areas I have scouted do some food plotting this summer and get some tree stands hung up and hopefully be able to put a deer down with the ol stick and string!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone hunting traditional?

Yup. Lots of traditional bowhunters out there and on this site.

For some reason the public doesn't like the idea of us throwing spears

In medieval society, hunting was illegal for commoners; my ancestors have a rich tradition of poaching. Kind of like Robin Hood and William Tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Doesn’t seem like there’s to many trad hunters lol

Hunting with recurve and longbow every season for over twenty years now, compound before that .

Was out three times in early December sitting in a tree stand with my 40# Samick journey. Didn't see anything from the stand, thou it was very peacefull. Each time after leaving on my atv I saw does, not going to get very close to whiteys on foot with a trad bow. Havn't taken a deer with the recurve yet and it was very exciting waiting in the stand, I was ready! Next year will be different.

There a lots of stick bow guys out there. There is just something about being so close to your quarry that they can hear you breathe. About you going up in poundage to 60# I would advise against it as something 45 to 55# will do the job and be much easier to shoot. The most important thing is shot placement and a scary sharp broadhead.

I liked the 55lb recurve I had but not a fan of metal risers and all that more of a purest I guess going with the wooden bows. The 60lb is actually measured at 30” me drawing at 28” I should be around that 55 range or so, last year I was also hunting with a friends 70# longbow and shooting consistent with that. I was shooting almost everyday really focusing on form but that was to much I didn’t like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Awishanew View Post
    There a lots of stick bow guys out there. There is just something about being so close to your quarry that they can hear you breathe. About you going up in poundage to 60# I would advise against it as something 45 to 55# will do the job and be much easier to shoot. The most important thing is shot placement and a scary sharp broadhead.

A lot of my “normal” hunting areas that I usually don’t see a lot of people and a lot of animals have been quite the opposite these last few years so I’ve decided to fully change up my strategy and go with Clearing brush out and shooting lanes and food plotting in some of the really thick areas I know the deer are traveling and putting my time in a stand which I hardly have ever done.. I’m pretty excited about it and doing it with the longbow gets me really excited.

QUOTE=buddyrip;1967465]Was out three times in early December sitting in a tree stand with my 40# Samick journey. Didn't see anything from the stand, thou it was very peacefull. Each time after leaving on my atv I saw does, not going to get very close to whiteys on foot with a trad bow. Havn't taken a deer with the recurve yet and it was very exciting waiting in the stand, I was ready! Next year will be different.[/QUOTE]