Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone hunting traditional?

Re: Anyone hunting traditional?

I hunt traditional...
    wood stocked model 70 blued barrel 30-06 fixed 4x leupold. That’s pretty traditional isn’t it?

=P

55# recurve Howatt custom take-down. Taken 1 Blacktail and a few grouse.
    Last edited by Magnumb; 05-28-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Just cuz

Anyone end up taking anything with the ol struggle stick last year? Let’s get this trad thred back to life a bit.i ended up moving to Sask just before season so wasn’t able to hunt unfortunately very bad timing couldn’t get my residency in time to switch things over and work didn’t let me go back to bc and do a host hunt with buddy’s. This year will be the one, I fully made the switch to trad sold my compound bow and have a few trad bows now. I am currently looking to add a striker classic long bow to the rack and hopefully can get that tuned in nicely and get chase some deer this up coming year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs

Check this link out on Youtube. It is called The Push, it is 2 hours long and is an excellent video in my opinion. I was curious about hunting with a long bow and seasoned bow hunter and friend put me onto this video, it teaches the science of aiming with a traditional bow and my buddy hunts this way.

I have watched that video before actually! I’ve listened to a few of their pod casts as well, I really am not a big fan of gap shooting and the whole string walking and fixed crawl techniques, I don’t want to get people heated on this cause whatever works for them to kill an animal or hit a target is great I think, but that being said I feel there is to much thought and small techniques being put in to trad. I’m definitely a firm believer in instinctive shooting and keeping it simple aim small miss small mentality, all I see these days on fb groups and other groups is people bitching and complaining about form This and back tension that when the guy shooting is drilling the target and has perfect groups. Guess it’s all who you’re chatting with lol! I’m more of a fred Bear simpler time kinda guy I guess

Im just in the process of making a longbow out of ipe and hickory, I am aiming for 55#. Hope to creep around looking for bears and moose this fall with it.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Im just in the process of making a longbow out of ipe and hickory, I am aiming for 55#. Hope to creep around looking for bears and moose this fall with it.
    Is this your first bow build ?

This is on my bucket list to make a bow and take a big game animal. I think it might be a good winter project to attempt to make a respectable flat bow and and practice for the 2020. Been doing research on this and learning towards elm backed with hickory

I wish you the best of luck

Thanks, if i get my poop in a group i will put up some pics when i am done. I have the fortunate advantage of having an expert boyer with a dedicated shop for a father. I will probably have about 30 hours into it by the end.

Got a Black Bear with a recurve and a Mt. Goat with the longbow last year.