Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swaro SLC,EL or Leica ultravid, nictovid Or Victorys?

Re: Swaro SLC,EL or Leica ultravid, nictovid Or Victorys?

I compared them with SLC and Vortex Razor. My EL 10x42 won hands down. They are truly amazing!

If you end up buying new swarvo’s, if you find someone with a assistant guide lisence, it will save you 10% on swarvo products, pretty good savings when spending big $$

Once you’re at the top end for any of the top dogs (Swarovski, Leica, ziess, Kowa), according to optical “experts”, it’s not so much a matter of better as it is biology. They all have slightly different engineering designs which are considered compromises. Biologically speaking, your eyes and brain may like one design over another. Doesn’t make it better, just better for you.
    For example, swarovision is supposed to be a field flattening technology that improves the edge to edge clarity so most of the field of view will be in focus at the same time. This is also
    supposed to make the image appear brighter. With out it the field of view has curvature so the entire field of view can’t be in focus at the same time. But apparently some people don’t like the swarovision because the flat view causes a “rolling ball” effect when moving, and messes with some people’s brains. The designers intentionally introduced some distortion (called pin cushion distortion) in the outer field of view to try and limit the “rolling ball effect”.
    I’m no expert, just agreeing with others that trying different ones would be best and your eyes and brain will decide.

If thats not possible then flip a coin and forget about it, because they will all be awesome and any differences either optically or egonomically will be person specific and probably splitting hairs.

By the way I’ve also read that the SLC’s are widely considered one of the best bangs for the buck in binoculars.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 12-28-2017 at 05:01 PM.

I’ll echo what mod7rem said.
    What appears clear and perfect to one person may be the exact opposite to another. Back in 2006 when I decided I could afford the scratch for a top of the line pair of binos I went into a store and asked to look at a pair of 10x50 Zeiss fully intending to buy them. At that time they were about $2k. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t see clearly through them. I kept asking the sales lady if she could see anything on the lenses as I didn’t think they were clean. She just shook her head a few times before suggesting I try a pair of 10x50 Ultravids they had. To my eyes they were a night and day improvement over the Zeiss. I couldn’t believe there could be such a difference but there was. The bonus was they had the Leicas priced $100 less to try and get rid of them as most of their customers preferred the Zeiss.
    So my advise is try as many as she can side by side before making your decision. Look into the shadows. Look against the sun. Try to pick out details behind tree branches if possible and see which pair works the best. Good quality costs a lot of money and should last a lifetime so don’t get into a hurry or feel like you have to make a decision that day.

Thanks for everyone's help. She ordered a pair of SLCs from Omer. She had looked through a pair a year or so ago and liked them then. So she's going to spend some time checking them out when they arrive and if she's completely satisfied and they feel right she will keep them. If not she can send them back to Omer for something else.

I agree with Bear Chaser and mod7rem that you have to try them and compare as what is right for you may not be for others. When I went looking for new binos in 2008, it came down to a choice between the Swaro EL 8.5x42 and the Zeiss 8x42 Victory T FL. Fortunately a store had both and I was able to a side by side comparison in good and low light and for me the Zeiss suited my eyes better. A hunting friend did the same and he chose the Swaro. We both couldn't be happier with our choice. My Zeiss have been great.

For what it’s worth the only difference I notice between the two is a slight edge to swaro’s in extremely low light conditions, day viewing they are both as sharp as you could ask for(even in overcast). Comparing my dads el 10x42 and my victory HD 10x42 so it is apples to apples comparison. If cost isn’t a concern I’d go with the el’s but if you do go with the Zeiss bino’s you will not be disappointed at all.

I use 10x42 SLCs. I compared to the newest version of the EL, but preferred the ergonomics and feel of the SLC. Optically, both are amazing. Obviously the field flatteners in the EL's provide a little more sharpness at the very edge of the picture. I couldn't justify the extra cost for the EL, and actually found I preferred the SLCs in many ways. My two cents.

I originally went home with the slc's, spent the afternoon and morning gazing through them in low light. Decided next day to swap em for the EL's, during regular daylight not a huge difference other than a bit easier on the lookers for long glassing sessions. When the deer just start coming out before dark the EL's earn there keep!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..