Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August Snowstorm

Re: August Snowstorm

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Obviously the package I don't have. Hahaha. I haven't used photobucket for a few years. Just tried it again this week. Funny how some can see it and some can not. When I posted I could see it. But I can't see it now. Looks like maybe Photobucket moved to a pay system instead of free?
    Yes, they want like $360 per year, or maybe it was $390....anyways they are off their meds for sure.

I saw one about as close as that in Reg 3. It was a collared bear found in the alpine south of Lillooet
    It was a very memorable experience to watch this bear continue across this large alpine bowl stopping to try and dig out a marmot a couple of times.
    A member on here forwarded the pics to a local biologist and she confirmed it was a sow named Georgia that had been collared in Gott Creek area a few years ago. The bear is 11 or 12 years old.

Here's the original thread with a couple more pictures:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-in-Reg-3-pics

Obviously the package I don't have. Hahaha. I haven't used photobucket for a few years. Just tried it again this week. Funny how some can see it and some can not. When I posted I could see it. But I can't see it now. Looks like maybe Photobucket moved to a pay system instead of free?
    Yes, i paid a small price to go add free last year and it seemed to work again for posting but I guess the year is up. Now the packages are much higher and its not clear which one will allow what is needed to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Yes, i paid a small price to go add free last year and it seemed to work again for posting but I guess the year is up. Now the packages are much higher and its not clear which one will allow what is needed to post here.
    Seems to be the trend. Give it away for free for years and then make you pay through the nose later if you want keep using it. Pretty much what Avenza did to mapping as well.

This morning I can see the image I posted. Don't know how long that will last.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I saw one about as close as that in Reg 3. It was a collared bear found in the alpine south of Lillooet
    It was a very memorable experience to watch this bear continue across this large alpine bowl stopping to try and dig out a marmot a couple of times.
    A member on here forwarded the pics to a local biologist and she confirmed it was a sow named Georgia that had been collared in Gott Creek area a few years ago. The bear is 11 or 12 years old.

Here's the original thread with a couple more pictures:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-in-Reg-3-pics

Great looking bear and cool story as well! A couple years ago I had a sow grizzly and yearling cub less than 2 km from my house. Not your typical grizzly habitat. Was pretty neat to be able to photograph them.

Great looking bear and cool story as well! A couple years ago I had a sow grizzly and yearling cub less than 2 km from my house. Not your typical grizzly habitat. Was pretty neat to be able to photograph them.
    What's your photography equipment these days? I follow you on instagram now and see you've been working on your photography skills

I've been using a Nikon D5100 and 55-300mm lens. Its ok in good light, but if the light sucks and you have to increase shutter speed to eliminate movement blurr it sucks.

What's your photography equipment these days? I follow you on instagram now and see you've been working on your photography skills

I've been using a Nikon D5100 and 55-300mm lens. Its ok in good light, but if the light sucks and you have to increase shutter speed to eliminate movement blurr it sucks.
    I been mainly using a Nikon Coolpix the last few years. Nothing special. Takes decent enough photos for what I do.

I was going to ask what cameras were in use.
    I did have a Nikon aw120, water proof and 1080p.
    Small and handy for sure.
    Found a sony hx50 with 30x optical zoom (700mm equivalent) on craiglist for cheap.
    Sure like it, as it is compact, and the zoom really helps at times.
    Carrying a a6500 with a 70-200 lens is too much when packing a rifle, but damn, it
    takes good pics.
    Now just waiting for a used a7r2 to come down to a reasonable price to get into full frame.
    All good cameras now, canon, nikon, sony, and the focusing on all of them are great.
    Canon and Nikon are better if you want used lenses at cheaper prices and more abundant in general.
    Anyways, nice photo of the bear.

Full frame is more than I ever want to spend on a camera so I don't even look.

Point and shoot are great and 99% of the time I pack that along because it's small and takes Good photos and still has a decent zoom (10x optical)

However as mentioned by Dana in the very first post the focus can be a huge issue. With a dslr you can just switch to manual focus quickly and focus on the bear and not the snowflakes that are confusing the camera.

The ability to change the shutter speed or aperture quickly is also a huge bonus for animals that move and might be gone in a second or two.

Of course the downside is a DSLR is significantly heavier and much less weather resistant. I don't bring it on backpack hunts. Too much other stuff to carry as is.

Full frame is more than I ever want to spend on a camera so I don't even look.

Point and shoot are great and 99% of the time I pack that along because it's small and takes Good photos and still has a decent zoom (10x optical)

However as mentioned by Dana in the very first post the focus can be a huge issue. With a dslr you can just switch to manual focus quickly and focus on the bear and not the snowflakes that are confusing the camera.

The ability to change the shutter speed or aperture quickly is also a huge bonus for animals that move and might be gone in a second or two.

Of course the downside is a DSLR is significantly heavier and much less weather resistant. I don't bring it on backpack hunts. Too much other stuff to carry as is.
    Hoping that if my daughter chooses not to pick up the rifle, that she still wants to come along as she gets older, and wants to pack the heavier camera gear....