Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Funded Management for Our Future

Re: Funded Management for Our Future

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    I’ll use the Merritt/Kamloops area as an example. It looks like the moon in many areas and night hunting has overwhelmed the area. Vancouver has less side streets.
    so what would you rather have, large clearcuts or large blowdown fire traps? Have you ever tried to walk in heavy pine blowdown? I'm lucky, I get to it often in my job. I can assure you wildlife don't enjoy it. So, if we didn't log all that pine, that is indeed what you would have. Think of what the wildfires would have been like this past summer then? Hmmm, i guess that you like watching your house burn maybe. You can tell your wife not to worry, the wildlife habitat created where your house once stood will be amazing? Seriously, you want that. Just because something looks 'fragmented' from the air, doesn't mean that is the fact. Did you know the science behind forestry in this province is to actually mimic natural distubance types? Oh yea, i remember, the only science that counts is the one that so and so is preaching today not the one that is actually used by government for managing trees. We get upset at the antis for not allowing us to manage with science but seems hunters want to do the same when it comes to something they know so little about, forestry. All because it 'looks ugly' hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    so what would you rather have, large clearcuts or large blowdown fire traps? Have you ever tried to walk in heavy pine blowdown? I'm lucky, I get to it often in my job. I can assure you wildlife don't enjoy it. So, if we didn't log all that pine, that is indeed what you would have. Think of what the wildfires would have been like this past summer then? Hmmm, i guess that you like watching your house burn maybe. You can tell your wife not to worry, the wildlife habitat created where your house once stood will be amazing? Seriously, you want that. Just because something looks 'fragmented' from the air, doesn't mean that is the fact. Did you know the science behind forestry in this province is to actually mimic natural distubance types? Oh yea, i remember, the only science that counts is the one that so and so is preaching today not the one that is actually used by government for managing trees. We get upset at the antis for not allowing us to manage with science but seems hunters want to do the same when it comes to something they know so little about, forestry. All because it 'looks ugly' hahaha.
    My original point was to reduce some of the unwanted spur roads but you choose to go on the defensive and blow this all out of proportion. I’d suggest just reading what I wrote and try not reading too deaply into it. Reducing extra spur roads, predator control ect ect are all problems being faced.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

guest Guest

My original point was to reduce some of the unwanted spur roads but you choose to go on the defensive and blow this all out of proportion. I’d suggest just reading what I wrote and try not reading too deaply into it. Reducing extra spur roads, predator control ect ect are all problems being faced.

Bullys ..... We're all Bullys haha

From what I can see from Ride Red, no personal attacks, just good internet debating. Which is fine and healthy. Personal attacks from you, something totally different. Can you debate without taking things to the personal level? Because if you can't you are a bully no different than that other one that a ton of people have thanked me for standing up to! It is funny that this site is like the school system. The bullies can say what ever they like as they pick on anyone they so choose, but if a kid stands up for themselves, they are themselves called a bully and are kicked out of school. Time to grow up and start dealing with people in a proper manner. Personal attacks is just what got hunters into the distrust and divisions that they currently are in. Especially given that a good vast amount of the personal attacks were flat out, bold faced lies.

Red of course there is issues on the big pine salvage blocks..there will be other issues when they green up and become unhuntable. The pine regen in the 03 burns is tough to hunt now. No way to fix it but time.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Red of course there is issues on the big pine salvage blocks..there will be other issues when they green up and become unhuntable. The pine regen in the 03 burns is tough to hunt now. No way to fix it but time.
    But not to worry, we were all told by science about a dozen years ago that moose love those 20 year old blocks and 20 year old fires. In 6 years, we are going to be overrun with moose.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    I do realize this as I’ve hunted western canada for the last 40 years.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

The roads which I’ve originally alluded to were the pine beetle roads. Those areas have been completely stripped of timber and most likely won’t be used for many years to come, short of a few mains. Saying that road access isn’t a problem is blind.
    exactly^^^^
    The reason to de-activate roads is too keep fat ***** out, ok. I made a good living logging in southern bc, so i have a pretty good idea of what a road every 1-2km can do to make for easy access, where the only access previously was on foot, two legs or four was the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    To drill it down a little deeper, if there was a significant annual budget on enhancing wildlife where should the focus be?
    Name your top 5 investments that would provide the greatest impact and bang?
    Good thread bownut & Ourea! Here are 5:

1. A campaign (primarily via social media) to educate the public (& politicians) about the necessity of an autonomous SCIENCE-BASED wildlife management system. This system must be guaranteed to run in perpetuity without interference from political whims.
    2. A science-based predator management program. This is the elephant in the room that must be addressed. If there are no animals left, what is the point of wildlife habitat? (See *** below)
    3. Habitat conservation programs to protect wintering grounds, migration corridors, etc. (ie: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's Conservation Program)
    4. Habitat enhancement programs. Prescribed by wildlife biologists & implemented by grass roots volunteer groups (ie: WKBGTA (haha)
    5. A private fundraising platform to self-fund these programs. (Sounds alot like BCWF... ; )

*** “Determining Factors Affecting Moose Population Change in British Columbia: Testing the Landscape Change Hypothesis.” READ FULL REPORT HERE

BCWF Summary HERE

Research to date recovered 49 of the collars from moose that had died & determined that predators killed 21 or 45%:
    • cougars killed 2 and a bear killed 1
    wolves killed 18 or 86%

>>> I'd like to see these same stats for deer in this region!

The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

The 2017 update of this report was put up on the govt website in early Dec. Numbers have not changed much. Predation is still near 50% of the annual mortality of collared cows/calves. Wolves kill substantially more moose than bears and cougars combined according to the data.
    It is a report worth reading. It is embedded in a link in the report below.See the 2017 update

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...fact_sheet.pdf
    Last edited by Brno22F; 12-28-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Semper in excretum altum