Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Funded Management for Our Future

Re: Funded Management for Our Future

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    That is the one that makes me laugh the most. We are told hunters have little to no effect on wildlife pops. If so, why would any say we need to deactivate roads to limit hunters? Oh, yea, it is because wolves use the roads. If you think wolves are limited by deactivation practices, you need to follow thise dog tracks someday. Oh yea, lets blame logging as a hole. It is the evil logging companies and their greed that has put us here. Hahaha. Did you know that forestry in this province opporates on science based practices? Yup, Science. There is that word that many kick around way way to much. The funny thing is, the very scientific practices that govern forestry were brought about years ago under the direction of the NDP. Hahaha. Other than cutting some very restrictive red tape, the Liberals kept the exact same science based forestry practices for all their years of running the province. But, yup, lets blame forestry for our delima instead of looking to the one thing that has been staring us in the face, the lack of Predator Management
    So you believe leaving every single access road open is ok?
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

In my view this report shows clearly the need for predator control as part of overall wildlife management strategy.
    Semper in excretum altum

Actually I wasn't suggesting government sponsered predator control. I was suggesting hunter sponsered predator control. Big difference there. Private money funding current regulation through our trappers would be where I would start. But according to some on this board, i don't have the right to voice my opinion. Hahaha
    We as hunters are the only ones that can make a difference in predator numbers. It won't have a big impact but it sure won't hurt.
    How many times have you heard the holier than thou crowd spouting about not shooting something the won't eat.
    There were a lot of hunters that supported the bear meat retrieval regulation, and the ban on the sale of bear parts.
    These two regulations stopped a lot of bear hunters leading to an increase in bear numbers. Nobody knows how much affect that had on ungulate populations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brno22F View Post
    In my view this report shows clearly the need for predator control as part of overall wildlife management strategy.
    While this is true and I believe some predator control is needed the report also shows how diverse the problems are that wildlife face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    So you believe leaving every single access road open is ok?
    How did you come to that conclusion? We do a ton of deactivation currently. Could more be done? All depends on what the future objectives are. Why would you deactivate something that you plan on using again in a few years? Many dollars can be wasted ripping a road only to rebuild it a few years later.

Hey Ourea, clean out your inbox dude.

How did you come to that conclusion? We do a ton of deactivation currently. Could more be done? All depends on what the future objectives are. Why would you deactivate something that you plan on using again in a few years? Many dollars can be wasted ripping a road only to rebuild it a few years later.
    Fly over Reg 8 dana?
    Access and habitat fragmentation is a major factor compounded with a strong FN presence in the Okanagan.
    (found a poached young bull moose on xmas day)

The regional bio is a good friend and field partner of mine.
    He echoes the rd and block density issues in this area.
    Getting tough to find old growth that a guy can get lost in.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

The roads which I’ve originally alluded to were the pine beetle roads. Those areas have been completely stripped of timber and most likely won’t be used for many years to come, short of a few mains. Saying that road access isn’t a problem is blind.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    The roads which I’ve originally alluded to were the pine beetle roads. Those areas have been completely stripped of timber and most likely won’t be used for many years to come, short of a few mains. Saying that road access isn’t a problem is blind.
    A problem for what? That is what I don't get. If there are water control issues, then maybe they need to be pulled. But if hunting makes little to no impact on the wildlife pops like science says, then how are all these inblock roads hurting wildlife? That is my question. Please let me know. I do know in most of the pine salvage areas I have worked in, many of the roads weren't really much of a road in the first place. Pop some stumps, put culverts in with as little as possible cuts and fills and pull culverts when done. Glorified trails if you really want to call them anything. Many are planted as well as there was very little actual soil compaction. Most logging is rdside now. Very few landings. I know the theory behind wolf movement and I would call BS on anyone that thinks a deactivated road slows a wolf down enough to keep them away from the prey species. So, please tell me. Habitat fragmentation? Hmmm, i was told recently by someone in the know that grizzlies will be exctinct in 20 years due to habitat fragmentation. Of course, logging is blamed for this. Hahaha. I guess a grizzly doesn't cross logging roads or enter cutblks. Hahaha.

I’ll use the Merritt/Kamloops area as an example. It looks like the moon in many areas and night hunting has overwhelmed the area. Vancouver has less side streets.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    Socrates.