Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handheld GPS recomendations

Re: Handheld GPS recomendations

Save your money and give the iHunter BC a shot. I have the app for BC and Alberta, they might be the best hunting app available even the Co's are using them.

Thanks everyone!

300 for the 64s is too much.

Wait a while. It will be on for like $160 on amazon with free shipping.

64 st is on sale at Cabelas for 299.00 this week.Has more memory and canada topo over the 64 s i believe .
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I have a garmin 62s, Oregon 650 and a Montana 650 with the back road map books. They are all awesome units and all have there advantages so it's how they will work for you personally. The 62s is good for cold conditions where your wearing gloves but I hate the way you scroll on the screen using the little toggle thing. Montana is a great unit but find it to big for hiking were it's in and out of your pocket frequently so I'm currently trying to sell that unit. The bigger screen is nice when driving. The Oregon is my favourite right now. It's a good size for what I do.

I really like my Garmin 62s with he backroads mapbook card. Great to be able to plan routes with contours and topo features. My brother has the 64s which is even better. I also use phone apps but hiking off a mountain on a rainy night I would use my Garmin every time.

Anyone out there rely on the gps on the Garmin inreach explorer? Im
    wondering how It compares to the 64s?
    Looks like the touch screen on my old rhino 650 Crapped out on me and im curious if the inreach gps would be sufficient?

Ended up going with the 64 st on sale at Cabelas + the VI back roads map package. Don't love ordering things online after some weird past experiences. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeez88 View Post
    Anyone out there rely on the gps on the Garmin inreach explorer? Im
    wondering how It compares to the 64s?
    Looks like the touch screen on my old rhino 650 Crapped out on me and im curious if the inreach gps would be sufficient?
    I did a little bit of research on this and the general consensus was that the in-reach was't as good as a dedicated GPS. Shame, because i need a new GPS and was thinking one that had sat communication capability would be great. Carrying two separate devices is kind of inconvenient.

I'm hoping the inreach comes out with a new version this year with an SD slot for my BRMB. I want a satellite communicator but I don't want to carry one and a GPS. I bet there will be some cheap GPS units for sale if they do come out with one.