Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS recomendations

Handheld GPS recomendations

So Santa was pretty generous with Cabelas gift cards this Christmas. After some interesting hikes in new and rough terrain this year chasing VI blacktails, I'm thinking a handheld GPS may be worth adding to my kit for next season.

What recommendations can folks make? I want something under 500 if possible, that can display topo maps, and if possible doesn't require a PHD to use. Being on VI weatherproofness is also of paramount concern.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Handheld GPS recomendations

Garmin GPS map 64s. Or 64st.
    Unless you are looking for a fancy touch screen that's all you need.

But keep checking prices. I got mine on amazon for well under $200 and I see they are now around $300 on amazon.ca

I know you have cabelas gift cards ... but you'll never find it cheaper that a good sale on amazon if you can check once a week and keep an eye on it.

X 2 on the Garmin. Check out GPS Central

I don't have any firsthand experience, but the aforementioned 64 st is on sale tomorrow (boxing day) for $299.99 and you could use your gift cards.

Also fill out customer survey online and get another $20.00 off any purchase greater than $150.00 before taxes. Could be a good deal.

Garmin 64s

I actually use my Android phone with the MyTrails App . Keeps track of all your trails with no data just utilizes your GPS enabled . You can even mark waypoints and name them . Makes getting lost next to impossible , as long as you have a charged phone . I would highly recommend it and use the money towards something else - JMO . Some of my friends use Scoutlook App with great results just like have with MyTrails . Check out the different Apps - took me well over 15 Apps to find the one I liked and do what I wanted .

GAIA GPS app on your iPhone for $20 (for up to 5 family devices) beats a Garmin gps in my experience. Better screen, easier to use, can download aerial photos with roads, and as I said, cheap! Good luck with it. Undoubtably something else you need from Cabelas to spend the gift card on.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

But keep checking prices. I got mine on amazon for well under $200 and I see they are now around $300 on amazon.ca

I know you have cabelas gift cards ... but you'll never find it cheaper that a good sale on amazon if you can check once a week and keep an eye on it.

I'll second and by the looks of it more like x5 on the Garmin 64(your pick on model) but I'd steer clear of any touch screen, my understanding is they don't do real well in the cold, you being on the island that may not factor in.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

64st is on sale at cabelas for 300.00 this week

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I replaced a Garmin Oregon 200 with a Montana 610 during the black Friday thing. The Oregon was the entry level touchscreen at the time & it served me well for many years. Cold was not an issue, it was invaluable on many backcountry ski touring trips as well as hunts in recent years. Used it on my motorbike as well, with a RAM mount and while paddling my canoe. The various profiles for road, trail & marine travel make it very versatile. Not sure a cellphone app can offer all those features but to be honest, I haven't looked at all the apps available for it. The Oregon would still be going strong if I hadn't messed it up trying to replace a scratched screen. I have a fairly new cellphone with GPS capability as well, but IMO it's too delicate to be using in serious backcountry travel. Garmin handhelds are purpose built, rugged pieces of hardware, costly yes, but I wouldn't have spent the money on the Montana if the Oregon hadn't served me as well as it did. Since I had already purchased topo Canada for the Oregon, I was able to transfer the topo maps to the new Montana.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-26-2017 at 12:11 AM.