Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How can i improve my waterfolw shooting?

Re: How can i improve my waterfolw shooting?

Have you ever patterned your gun? Whenever I change my chokes or the brand and size of shell, I give my gun a pattern at 20 and 40 meters. Give you a clear idea of the sweat spot. It is surprising how much it can change.

Shel

Quote Originally Posted by chele View Post
    I went to the estuary today for my first time this season and i had i great time. However, i couldnt take home any birds despite having the opportunity to do so several times. the clearest opportunity was two geese flying right over me at about 40'.

i dont hunt for waterfolw often since any decent area for waterfowl hunting is too far from home to justify the gas cost but i do enjoy the hunt and i try to go hunting whenever i go to nanaimo. I do pratice at the range whenever i can and i dont suck at shooting clays as much as when i am hunting for birds. I know that trap shooting is not the same as waterfowl hunting, but even when i saw the bird coming from a mile away i couldnt get it.

what would be your suggestions for improving my waterfolwing shooting and hunting success cosidering the following:
    - i dont have or want to acquire decoys since i like to walk around te estuary as the tide changes.
    - maximum size shoot for trap shooting at the range is #7.5 in 2.75'
    - i have a mossberg 535 so i can shot 3.5" shots
    - average shooting distance while hunting is 30-50'.
    - I use the factory modified choke. The other chokes i have are imp cylinder and full, both factory chokes.
    - shot the score steel shot in 3" and #2 shot for the first time today. I have about two more boxes of this ammo left since i got it on sale.

I think shot size is really important too.... it's been mentioned a few times in this thread. This year I've moved up to a 3.5" shell and bought Heavy Metal #2's. Honestly couldn't hit the side of a barn door with this setup. After this last box is done, I'm going back to #3's or #4's. I'm using the tightest choke my gun (Maxus) will allow for steel, but I think I'll switch that back to IC for a wider pattern. I've also noticed that because of all the extra clothing I now wear late season and the combination of the ghillie suite that I use, I'm going to have to get a thinner stock pad than what came with the factory. My gun just doesn't quite mount up right when I originally set it up for shooting with normal jacket and clothing.

The more you get out there the more you learn. I've gone out and been skunked more than once this season, but a bad day hunting (if you can call it that) still beats a good day at work.

Update...

I went to the range today and tried my 12ga mossberg 535 with the ammo I had, Score waterfowl 3" 1550ft/s 1-1/8oz in both #2 and BB shot and this is the data i collected after aiming to a 16x16" target. Let me know what you think (good, bad, should i try longer distances, bigger target?) ... Almost forgot, i used the standard factory chokes for this test too.

thanks!

Choke Distance Shot size Pellet count
    Imp cyl 20' #2 103
    Imp cyl 30' #2 61
    Mod 20' #2 123
    Mod 30' #2 75
    Imp cyl 20' BB 55
    Imp cyl 30' BB 29
    Mod 20' BB 64
    Mod 30' BB 43

I've always used a big piece of cardboard or plywood( I prefer cardboard) and draw a 30" circle. Pace off 30 yards and have atter. I use a sharpy and cross the holes counted. K