Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can i improve my waterfolw shooting?

Re: How can i improve my waterfolw shooting?

In my mind the number one thing, and I've said it a million times, is pattern your gun with different chokes and different shells, you'll be shocked at the results. Also make sure your gun is fitting you properly. I bought a new SX3 a few years ago and couldn't hit shit with it until I realized that the comb had to be dropped substantially, I used all the shims it came with plus I added another that Reliable gave me and bingo! That thing just loves Winchester blended reds but doesn't pattern well with Kents! Good luck! K

Thanks guys. I have taken noted of all your suggestions and this is what I will do to figure out what shot I will use. I will post my findings once the tests are completed.

- wear duck hunting gear when testing ammo
    - use 3" shots when testing ammo for consistency
    - Try current #2 ammo at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards with full, improve cylinder and modify chokes. Note shot percentage for each shot for a 12" diameter area. Determine best choke for #2 ammo and maximum effective range (at least 55% of shots hitting targeted area.)
    - Buy #4 and bb ammo rated for 1550 fps or more. Find most economic ammo for first test.
    - Repeat test with #4 ammo and note percentage difference between previous ammo.
    - If % difference improves with #4 ammo more than %10 at maximum shooting range for #2 shot, Repeat the test with same size of shot but with "better" ammo. If the test with better ammo improves more than 5% use the "better" ammo for hunting.
    - Test bb shot. start from maximum effective range of the previous tests to 50 yards. Note percentage improvement. If maximum effective range improves by 10 yards, repeat the test with "better" ammo. If the "better" ammo improves percentage at maximum effective range by more that 5% use "better" ammo for hunting.

DO NOT use full choke with steel, I would hate to see you "goose egg" your barrel. Nothing tighter than Improved Modified with steel. Apart from that you have a plan to start.
    Good Luck
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Got it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chele View Post
    I went to the estuary today for my first time this season and i had i great time. However, i couldnt take home any birds despite having the opportunity to do so several times. the clearest opportunity was two geese flying right over me at about 40'.

i dont hunt for waterfolw often since any decent area for waterfowl hunting is too far from home to justify the gas cost but i do enjoy the hunt and i try to go hunting whenever i go to nanaimo. I do pratice at the range whenever i can and i dont suck at shooting clays as much as when i am hunting for birds. I know that trap shooting is not the same as waterfowl hunting, but even when i saw the bird coming from a mile away i couldnt get it.

what would be your suggestions for improving my waterfolwing shooting and hunting success cosidering the following:
    - i dont have or want to acquire decoys since i like to walk around te estuary as the tide changes.
    - maximum size shoot for trap shooting at the range is #7.5 in 2.75'
    - i have a mossberg 535 so i can shot 3.5" shots
    - average shooting distance while hunting is 30-50'.
    - I use the factory modified choke. The other chokes i have are imp cylinder and full, both factory chokes.
    - shot the score steel shot in 3" and #2 shot for the first time today. I have about two more boxes of this ammo left since i got it on sale.
    I have shot lots of clay targets and birds over the years. Here are some suggestions from my read of your questions. First, if you want to learn to pass shoot, get to a skeet range, and not a trap range. Use your duck gun with lead shot at the range. Make sure the gun fits you properly. There are lots of guys on a skeet range who can help you. I have shot nanaimo's skeet facility on many occassions. Good club and good guys. I would suggest you also consider shooting competitive skeet, like our local Island Skeet League. We hold events monthly from spring to fall. The events are cheap to shoot. $6.00 for 25 targets. Typically 125 targets in an event.

Second, buy a duck call like a haydel and learn to use it. You don't have to use the most expensive, just one that has a decent sound. If you don't want to carry decoys, then as you shoot birds, find a good spot, and prop the dead birds up on the shoreline, and use them as your decoys. has worked great for me on numerous occassions. The right shoot skills, good calls, and in my mind a modified choke, will serve you well. Hope to see you out shooting skeet. Good luck

You can shoot most duck loads( 2-4's) through a full choke without ever having to worry about it. I know guys that have shot thousands of rounds of steel through a full choke including BB's. I think KK shoots full choke 90% of the time.

Anyhow, shoot whatever ammo and choke gives you the best pattern and have fun

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I'm new to hunting and I just wanted to say that I really appreciate this conversation.

For me gun fit was the biggest thing to improve my success. I saved and bought a Super Vinci in optifade, the gun I had been daydreaming about for years, and after a couple years of trying to love it, trying everything I could think of to get it to fit better I finally faced the facts and went back to my trusty SX3 and the number of birds I kill went up drastically.

On a side note I also like to use extended choke tubes. The ones I use only stick out 1/2 inch or so but enough to take the impact in case you ever accidentally hammer the end of the barrel into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    You can shoot most duck loads( 2-4's) through a full choke without ever having to worry about it. I know guys that have shot thousands of rounds of steel through a full choke including BB's. I think KK shoots full choke 90% of the time.

Anyhow, shoot whatever ammo and choke gives you the best pattern and have fun

Lorne
    Lorne, you know I respect you BUT imho this is bad advice. I have seen goose egged barrels even in model 12 HDs. It's kind of like playing Russian Roulette, You're only dead one out of 6 times, first trigger pull or never it's all the luck of the draw. Why risk it. steel was not meant to be pushed through a full choke. Guntech, where are you on this.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.