Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can i improve my waterfolw shooting?

Re: How can i improve my waterfolw shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Lorne, you know I respect you BUT imho this is bad advice. I have seen goose egged barrels even in model 12 HDs. It's kind of like playing Russian Roulette, You're only dead one out of 6 times, first trigger pull or never it's all the luck of the draw. Why risk it. steel was not meant to be pushed through a full choke. Guntech, where are you on this.
    ive never heard or seen of a catastrophic failure from it( other then hear say from the internet). Ever. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but ive never seen or even know anyone that it has happened to. There is plenty of info out there saying that shooting normal duck loads ( 2-4's) through a full choke is completely fine and in my personal experience it has been.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Lorne, you know I respect you BUT imho this is bad advice. I have seen goose egged barrels even in model 12 HDs. It's kind of like playing Russian Roulette, You're only dead one out of 6 times, first trigger pull or never it's all the luck of the draw. Why risk it. steel was not meant to be pushed through a full choke. Guntech, where are you on this.
    Foxton, I have been scatter-gunning for over 40 years. When steel shot first came on the seen, most all of the manufacturers advised that when using guns designed and choked for lead shot, was being used to shoot steel, a modified choke for lead was the maximum choke to be used with steel. Chokes designed for steel shot are typically more open, as steel does not deform to the same degree that lead does. Therefore you will get higher pressures and can get dangerous results if you use full chokes designed for lead. Best to buy a full choke designed for steel if that's your preference.

100 % agree- I Asked around if it was OK to shoot Steel thru my Remmy 1100 Full Choke - Everyone that knows Anything said NO ! - But maybe its a OLDER 1100 and the barrel is a lead shot Full choke - choked tighter then a steel shot barrel - But I use a Modified barrel ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 12-28-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    100 % agree- I Asked around if it was OK to shoot Steel thru my Remmy 1100 Full Choke - Everyone that knows Anything said NO ! - But maybe its a OLDER 1100 and the barrel is a lead shot Full choke - choked tighter then a steel shot barrel - But I use a Modified barrel ! RJ
    Well again, my limited experience is not that. But I don't know everything.

Here's an article in last years field and stream. Rob Roberts knows a few things about shotguns.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...hoke-and-steel

The question is less “can you use Full choke and steel?” than “should you use Full choke and steel?”

http://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/

Btw, The Rob Roberts T2 is IMO the best all around choke tube on the market.

Lorne
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    I build a couple of waterfowl guns every year. I always lengthen out the forcing cone and if the gun is for my use I open the full choke up to IM, otherwise its Mod. That's what I did on my 1100. It seems to work very well. At least for me
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I build a couple of waterfowl guns every year. I always lengthen out the forcing cone and if the gun is for my use I open the full choke up to IM, otherwise its Mod. That's what I did on my 1100. It seems to work very well. At least for me
    Foxton, couldn't agree more with your comments. I was going to mention lengthening forcing cones earlier, but thought it might just complicate the discussion. In my opinion and experience, lengthening forcing cones is one of the best things you can do to improve a pattern and make it dense and consistent. Most guys focus on chokes which makes sense, but will not have the same effect.

i would urge you to not use a full choke unless it is made specifically for steel shot.i will not enter into which choke is best so you will have to determine this for yourself.a patterning board is your best way to determine what works best for your gun.
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"

There's three fixed full choke guns 2 12 gauges and a 16 gauge with countless rounds of steel thru them. But don't take my word for it.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

I shot my old 3" Wingmaster for about 10yrs before I switched to a multiple choke gun, 1000's of rounds and not a problem, but don't take my word for it either! K