Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone gone east to hunt caribou, quebec or where ever?

Anyone gone east to hunt caribou, quebec or where ever?

Was thinking of a trip out east to get after Caribou. Would be cool to see one of those huge migrations when they happen. Must be a cool hunt. Has anyone on here ever gone or know a good outfitter? I not interested in links to advertisements, would like to hear actual experience. Thanks in advance!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone gone east to hunt caribou, quebec or where ever?

I hunted the Quebec Labrador herd many years ago.. the big migrations didn’t happen the year I went up and my understanding is those huge herds are a thing of the past..
    it was a really cost effective trip, flying from Ottawa to Montreal then onto Kuujjuaq Quebec.. then a Otter into the camp.. non guided hunt offered a wall tent for every 2 men (6 hunters in camp) a camp manager who helped pack meat back to camp and a cook who provided 3 hots with the option for a bag lunch..

the biggest herds we saw consisted of about 25 animals but the average groups were only a half dozen animals typically the same sex..

i came home home with two bulls both taken while in velvet, no massive racks taken by anyone in camp..

barren ground caribou are a lot smaller than our mountain caribou, about the size of a decent mulie and they are much better eating than mountain Caribou..

It was a good hunt especially for the money but I would go for a BC hunt before ever considering going back east..

cheers
    Rod
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Everything that Rod said; it's almost like I was in the same place...
    We did take some good racks but that was a long time ago (1988 I do believe).

Hunt is cancelled in Quebec as of last year.

Caribou on NFLD, small herds and population is increasing but still limited number of tags.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Caribou on NFLD, small herds and population is increasing but still limited number of tags.
    And really going up in price! With the hunt closures in Quebec and NWT......the remaining hunts are definitely going way up. Nfld is a bit unique because of the very limited number of tags and it being a separate sub species in most slams.

Question Re: Anyone gone east to hunt caribou, quebec or where ever?

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    And really going up in price! With the hunt closures in Quebec and NWT......
    Had me for a moment there. A quick call to a buddy or two, and you have them as well.
    Please elaborate on the NWT closures of caribou hunting.
    Those on the ground I know are wondering too...

Thanks,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Had you? Central barrenground caribou have been closed in NWT for 6 or 7 years now...these were the high volume, budget priced hunts. Mountain caribou is still open but prices are steep in comparison. Quebec had their last hunt in 2017.

Thumbs up Re: Anyone gone east to hunt caribou, quebec or where ever?

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Had you? Central barrenground caribou have been closed in NWT for 6 or 7 years now...these were the high volume, budget priced hunts. Mountain caribou is still open but prices are steep in comparison. Quebec had their last hunt in 2017.
    Interesting.
    All the folks I know up there are locals, and all live in the West, so I'd hazard a guess they simply carry on oblivious to some extent over guided hunting. I was myself blissfully unaware of this development, but was aware the mountain variety hunts were still ongoing.

Thanks for helping clear that up.
    Got some reading to do I guess...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

If they are hunting CB caribou they are also oblivious to the law......this closure included all hunting.