Thread: Pintails?

Pintails?

Wondering if it is just me or have others noticed fewer pintails around this season? Maybe I have got the timing wrong, but I expected to see more around than I have. I certainly haven't shot any this season though hopefully I will before this one is all over. Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pintails?

We haven’t seen many but we don’t target them. We have shot a few though this year.
    Seemed like our area had an early influx of mallards in mid-October and that’s when Pintails usually arrive and the bigger flights move through in a few weeks (by mid-nov). Pintails never showed up around us this year though.
    Lots of mallards around and bigger flights of Teal too. The teal stayed around a lot longer this year.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Thanks Dano. Certainly lots of mallards and, as you say, teal. Quiet day yesterday but still lots of birds around.

In one of the areas I hunt on Van Isle, I haven't noticed any decline compared compare to the past couple years.

Seems to be lots in the delta. Or at least last time I was over
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Seems to be lots in the delta. Or at least last time I was over
    Then it must just be me as that is where I hunt. I looked to see if I could find anything that might back up my hunch but found only this https://flyways.us/status-of-waterfo...tion-estimates. Not much change year on year, though significantly lower over longer term.

I chase them. Wouldn't say numbers are any lower this season compared to previous. Seen a push early on and the wintering birds are here now.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Got some earlier on the season but our groups did not get any lately. Little more green winged teals kicking around. Just the usually Mallards and widgeons around.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Pintails or not, I got a new mojo for Christmas so will be leaning on the mallards until season end...