Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Want This Site To Be About Hunting Again?

Re: Do You Want This Site To Be About Hunting Again?

I agree with Dana and others with their comments above.

I came to this site years ago as a new hunter. This site has a ton of great references and it helped me immensely over the years. However if you notice the dates of most helpful threads and posts, they date back a ways.

I know I don't conform to the stereotypical hunter (e.g. live in a major city, have no family members who hunt, lean left on social issues, lean right on environmental/finance etc.) so I value and appreciate diversity of opinion in a site such as this. But I agree with those above and in my opinion people have taken their right to self expression not only off-topic on this site, but beyond reason. There is a clear vein of disrespect on this site. From outward racial comments, political witch hunts, to personal spats. As such, I would like the moderators to step in with more control and authority than what has been used in the past, but we as members also have to do our part if we deem this site worthy of our efforts.

For the moderators, asking for changes like this isn't easy, so I have tempered expectations. Sweeping changes won't happen quickly, on this site or in public opinion of hunters, so please just do your best and I'll try to do my part to help with my posts or threads. If I can see a few more closed threads or banned members, I think positive helpful posts from myself and others can sway this site back into the focused, positive, hunting site it used to be.

If not, and Dana or any others create a new site, competition usually increases the quality of a product and I would support whatever site has the best content.

Thanks, my $0.02.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

What's wrong with staying off the "politics and debate" section, and sticking to the other sections of the site? I agree it gets old, and when it does, I leave it alone and look at the hunting stuff, not the political stuff. It's pretty great to see what people who have such a common passion as hunting think and feel about some of the more contentious political issues at times....at times it gets old....stay away, but don't try to control the entire site to what you want it to be. Take responsibility for what you view and participate in.

Edit: Not trying to sound sharp....just my opinion....no offence intended.
    Last edited by RugDoctor; 12-23-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by kebes View Post
    All you're doing is adding to the drama. I've seen a number of really good threads lately and after years of being a member they inspired me to start one of my own (won't be as good as some members who are far better hunters than I am ). Why not just post and enjoy rather than baiting the 'bullies' and trying to dictate terms?
    No he is not adding to the drama. He is just stating the obvious. Nobody wants to post shit cause of the bullshit. I had multiple succesful hunts this year and wont post any more stories or pics. This site is now a buy and sell site for me and the odd good read.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

F*ck me derailed already, yes Dana i would love for this site to get back to basics. I rarely post here anymore not that i shoot a lot of crankers but i do enjoy the stories and i really appreciate it when hunters help help each other out. Dana maybe get on Big Shots i have joined there and there seems to be no BS there and the folks on there seem genuine even the ones who are on this one too , hopefully this site will turn around.

I agree that this site is not what it used to be, but neither is the hunting in this province. Like it or not, the 2 greatest issues endangering the future of hunting in this province are the government (not just NDP or Greens. Liberals sold us out as well) and First Nations. Though I do not agree with many of the comments posted, the community as a whole needs a place to come together and discuss these very important issues. This site provides that. And of the people who I know who left, it was not because of the "politics" but the personal attacks in the hunting stories. Whether it was about the animal, method, or just a personal beef it got ugly.

Ig is fine but to me a photo, though pretty, doesn't give the real story. Facebook to me is basically a series of ongoing disasters (look at the cougar hunt un Alberta). Sites like this, though need fine tuning, play an important role. I would support a heavier hand by the moderators but also think that people should police themselves. Use the report button!

*Apologies for previous versions horrible spelling and grammar
    Last edited by Mulehahn; 12-23-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

SSS, He must have changed his tune recently because he was the one that wanted the Liberals to pay the most and slammed each and every hunter that disagreed with him. How many have left this site because of ol'Paddycake attacking them. Yup, he really is a Hunter Recruitment genius ain't he? I am more than willing to work with people who can own up to their mistakes and own what they said and make things right. But Paddycake doesn't have it in him. He is right and everyelse is wrong. He is and always has been an internet bully and for this site to move on, the internet bullies have to go!

Sorry Dana. Deleted my post. Hate drama and thought better of it.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

SSS, so the only drama that is good is when it is personal attacks made by your friends? Do you know how many lies ol'Paddy told about me and my family? Do you know how many lies he told about countless hunters that left this site? All because they dared to disagree and refused to be a sheep. You say you don't want drama, maybe tell Paddy to shut up and listen istead of attacking constantly.

Mulehahn, I totally agree and while I may disagree with the decisions of the mods, even "Steelie" , at times, I do consider HBC, to be currently the best venue for hunters to discuss the issues we face, like it or not.

I see no real problem between dialogues concerning the political issues, stories of hunts, discussions of personal or family issues and the joking among some rather knowledgeable gun nuts over our guns, handloading and even harassing "RJ", all in good fun and, I think, genuine friendship.

I have met quite a number of regular posters here, have found everyone of them to be great and have had quite a number come to my home for assistance in choosing packs and other gear and even try one of my rifles to see if they really wanted to buy that particular model.

So, I think we are OK and tend to prefer just letting the current of discussion flow freely and this seems to work very well on "24Hr" out of the US. In fact, some of my best buddies there are those whom I first met and scrapped with over issues such as Canadian resource sovereignty, so..........let's go forth and defeat the antis with determination and enjoy the process!

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    What's wrong with staying off the "politics and debate" section, and sticking to the other sections of the site? I agree it gets old, and when it does, I leave it alone and look at the hunting stuff, not the political stuff. It's pretty great to see what people who have such a common passion as hunting think and feel about some of the more contentious political issues at times....at times it gets old....stay away, but don't try to control the entire site to what you want it to be. Take responsibility for what you view and participate in.

Edit: Not trying to sound sharp....just my opinion....no offence intended.
    I agree...I tend to stay away from the drama and mean spirited discussions. I actually have been more
    active lately because I personally think this site has improved. Many posters seem to be more considerate
    and constructive than awhile ago when it seemed the site was a free-for-all in name calling and vicious
    attacks. I admit that I thought a couple of moderators were either allowing too much of this to go on, or
    were bias and inconsistent in their moderating etc, but as of late I think they're doing a much better job.
    I have been asked, and have offered quite a few members advice and directions to spots that I've done well
    in lately via pms because of what I see as re-newed and positive attitude on this site.