Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice from Experienced hunters

Looking for advice from Experienced hunters

Hi Guys,
    new to the Forum, and new to hunting. Taking my hunter Ed this winter, but plan on doing some "studying " this winter before next year's season. Are there any books, videos, or podcasts you would recommend to the new Green hunter to help gain some knowledge?
    thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for advice from Experienced hunters

Rookie Hunter podcast is a great place to start.

Randy Newberg

Hunt talk with h randy newberg
    Gritty bowmen
    Rich outdoors
    Wired to hunt
    Hunt backcountry
    Eastmans elevated

I'll have to check out rookie hunter. Hopefully they're on Stitcher.

Also, because you can listen to hunting podcasts allll the time, add in Joe Rogan's podcast.

Ps: rookie hunter is on Stitcher. Thanks moose.

Best studying you can do is get out there....as much as you can. Wear out your boots. Try different aspects of the terrain, top, bottom, sunnyside, lee sides. River/creek beds, steep terrain. Just get out there as much as you can and study the animals and the sign, you never know you might get hooked!
    good luck
    if you mention where you are from, somebody maybe able to point you to a drainage or road that holds game to get you started in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies guys. As I don't own any horses, I'll be planning to do most of my hunting back-pack style. I watched Randy Newbergs how-to videos including the quartering an animal video and thought he does a great job.

Hi Guys,
    as I like to torture my family while we're driving around in the car- I like to listen to Podcasts. I had to turn off Rookie Hunters as the kids were learning too many new words for the playground-lol. One great podcast I found was "Highlander Hunting". If anyone is in my similar position, I found this podcast excellent. Content is good, guests are excellent, and they are Canadian boys as well. I've learned a bunch while I've been binge-listening to them.

guest Guest

Mad beaver ....... Throw me a PM ...... Tell me where your from, what your main target species is, how far you want to venture as in drive, and how long you will have to hike and hunt. I can help you with a number of places.

Merry christmas. Welcome to HBC

Best advice I can give you pic 1 or 2 main species of interest and research their needs, proffered habitat, how their habits change throughout the year, and about the populations of these species in the areas you may want to target them. Gather this info from both hunting and non hunting related sources

Intimate knowledge of a species makes it way easier to learn hunting techniques that are best applied to hunting them

If you go out looking to hunt everything you will be going into the bush knowing a little of everything yet not enough.