Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He’s coming in fast....an elk story.

He’s coming in fast....an elk story.

Inspired by Ourea’s recent elk story I’m going to post a elk hunt of my own. I really enjoy reading and seeing other hunters pictures and with all the negative issues facing us these days I figured it would be a nice break.

Elk hunting is fast becoming one of my obsessions and like every year I couldn’t wait for the start of the season. I had a cam up on one of my spots and after a two week soak I checked it and found I had a bunch of bulls, cows and calves. One bull was a 7x5, nothing huge but I’m not picky when it comes to elk, as I have a growing family and they love elk meat.

The season started out with a bang literally lol. Managed to call in a satellite bull for a buddy and he was able to sneak a shot in through the brush at 25 yards. We had a couple bulls screaming and I just soaked it in...love hearing them bugle! His bull so I won’t post pictures of it.
    Live to Hunt...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: He’s coming in fast....an elk story.

here we go again....... keep rollin!
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

I was tired after a long day of buterching my buddies bull, starting to think it is tougher than packing...lol. I made plans to hunt my spot with the 7x5 bull the next day.

My buddies couldn’t make the hunt, but I knew cell coverage wasn’t too far so decided to go solo. After an hour of hiking I was approaching my spot when I looked down and saw a fresh bull track coming down a steep bank. I didn’t take five more steps before I heard the unmistakeable sound of splashing. I quickly start glassing the thick brush/timber ahead of me when I catch movement 70 yards away.
    Live to Hunt...

After what seemed like an eternity and me cursing the thick West Kootenay rhubarb, I finally could make out a cow. She moved up a ridge and I couldn’t help wonder where the bull was... Then again I hear splashing...right on I think that has to be the bull. Now I think to myself I should let out a soft cow call, so I did thinking I would hear a roaring bugle, but nothing. Five minutes go by and I hear a cow chirp and then I spotted a cow looking at me. Now I have to make like a statue for the next 20minutes and everyone knows it’s not easy. The cow looking at me moves up a ridge towards me and is staring me down only 40 yards away. While watching her I could see she was leaking, but she wasn’t peeing. I’m pretty certain she was in heat. I thought any minute I’m going to see or hear a bull.

Dinner is ready...story to continue shortly.
    Live to Hunt...

30 minutes later the two cows eventually move off and I made my way to my cam. I grabbed the cam and sat down in a spot with good sight lines of the wallow. To my amazement not one legal bull was captured on cam in two weeks. Several smaller bulls and two 5pts. Feeling a little discouraged I let out some cow calls and was met by crickets.

The sun was poking through the trees and I was contemplating my next move, when the silence was broken by a bugle. I think to myself...”could that be another hunter”? I let out a bugle and it was instantly met by a deep raspy bugle. Game on...
    Live to Hunt...

Go Rattler go!
    Love it.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Please MORE ! MORE ! Now ! RJ

I grabbed my rifle and decided to stand up to improve my visibility. As I stood he bugled again and I couldn’t believe how close he sounded now. Listening and trying to think where he was going to come in I hear branches snapping and popping followed by another roaring bugle. He’s right on top of me! I quickly shift ever so slightly to where he is coming in and I see antler tips moving between the trees not 75 yards away. I quickly count his top end and was pleasantly surprised to see 4,5,6 because I was thinking it was going to be one of the 5pts I had on the trail cam.

He is moving in fast and I get a count on the bottom end 1,2,3 as he dipped below some blowdown. Good to go! He is 60 yards away almost trotting and is quartering towards me. I flipped the safety off and as soon as he cleared a Cedar tree I pulled the trigger. At the shot he buckled and lunged forward. I quickly reloaded and found his front shoulder again and squeezed a second shot off. The bull stumbled forward, did a 360 and hit the ground. I could see he was still moving and shifted over to get a clear shot, but could only see his neck through a gap between the trees. I fired at his neck but he never flinched. I reloaded again, but by the time I did he dropped his head. I kept my crosshairs on him for next 20min and the whole time I was amazed at how tough elk are. Shooting 300wm with 180gr Barnes TTSX.
    Live to Hunt...

I walked up and this is how he lay:

Live to Hunt...

I snapped a few pictures and hiked out to truck, drove to cell range placed a call to Brambles and another buddy. They were pumped to hear the news and were game to help packing. Lucky to have such good friends!

More pictures:

Live to Hunt...