pics like these remind us how fortunate we are we live beauty pics and spot

Re: Ice fishin!!

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post

pics like these remind us how fortunate we are we live beauty pics and spot

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post

do you have any tips for burbs only luck I have had is set lines

any help for a new fisherman in the ice fishing for some place to take his kids i live in the lower mainland

Those are some awesome photos warnniklz. Gotta love where we get to live. Been having great luck lately, good fish in the early morning then watched as many a fish swam by not interested. The fishin highway is where I want to spend some time this winter, bridge being my main target. Got them all in there, lakers, burbs, koks and bows.

If you make it to kamloops I can point you in the right direction but lower mainland would take some travel time. Renting a cabin at tunkwa for a weekend can be really fun. Right beside the lake, wood stove, loads of rainbow trout.

I usually fish 6' deep for rainbows... Usually not far out off the shores. I usually try to find some sort of inflow creek and fish near there. Brings in oxygen and food for little guys, then the big guys come eat the little guys. I've even caught 30" rainbows in two feet of water under the ice.

my go to set up is a red matzuo sickle hook in a size 2. I run it through a large white raw tiger prawn so the hook comes out the tail. Then I'll do some slow jigging just to get some movement. But I find rainbows hit in schools. You'll have and hour or so of nothing, then for five minutes everyone hammers them.

The he hardest part was I watched the biggest rainbow I've seen personally chew my prawn for 5 minutes, when he finally hooked up, he headed for the weeds and broke me off.

i always run some fluorocarbon. They even have it in specialized ice line now.

Ice fluoro makes a huge difference, regular fluoro is stiff and coils its self off the spool, the new stuff is supple and soft. It all depends on the lake for me, brookies and bows on one side of loops, max 6 feet deep, my home lake now, fished 18 feet on bottom today and slayed them. Worms are my go to bait or cured corn on a tear drop jig.