Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: An Elk Hunt With Me

Re: An Elk Hunt With Me

Finally got a chance to finish this story.

Great share and beauty bull, O!

Thanks for taking the time to put it all in writing!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Nice work Dave, impressive bull...one day when Im sick of eating them and the kids are moved out.. Ill pass up a few to get to a big one.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Beauty bull! Cool top & thick as! Way to persevere searching. Tough to beat the excitement of hunting bugling bulls. (howling wolves is close... ; )

Great to have some real hunting content on this site again...
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 12-22-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    Wow. That’s a nice bull. 6x8?
    Yes.
    Nice 6 x 6 frame with two lengthy stickers off his right beam.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Finally!!! LOL!!!

Great Bull Dave!!

Thanks for posting it up, telling us the story and sharing the pictures!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Beauty, thanks for the share.

Wait, story is not done yet, still had to pack him out!

After a couple quick photos the knives and saw came out and we got to work.
    This is where having a partner that knows what he is doing is indispansible, and this guy can pack.
    Despite the bull being quite run down from the rigors of the rut, I still marveled at his overall size.
    Wasn't going to make the pack out any easier.

Gear, shoulders, straps and tenderloins was the first load.
    Hinds where next. About 3/4's of the way out I dropped my hind and headed back for the the head and cape.
    The plan was for Elk-aholic to come back for my hind while I did the last load and it was getting late.

I could have done a better job on loading my pack as it was a bit sloppy with the overcut cape and bone.
    It was a bit top heavy as well, guessing 115-120lbs.

I was entering the bottom area of the initial draw. Had some rock to negotiate and then I was trail bound for the duration. My legs were pretty bagged from three successive days and then two trips with weight. The day was late and was hoping to meet my partner by dark at the vehicle.

As I was coming off the rocky bank my pack started shifting and I couldn't hold it back. Down goes Frazer!
    That was the last thing I remembered. I was out cold.

I remember coming to, face down, reaching for a rock.
    I thought I had slept in and was turning the rock off thinking it was the alarm. As my head cleared I fumbled to get my pack off. I struggled to find my legs. After some water and slowly walking around my head was getting clearer.
    It was actually pretty cool how your body and brain reboot after being knocked out.

Anyway, it took everything I had to get the pack on and get rolling. The pack felt twice as heavy and I was seriously struggling. I got to an area where there was enough reception to get a call out to my buddy. Apparently i didn't make a lot of sense so he knew something was up. An hr later he found me sitting on a log in a bit of a stooper. He grabbed the pack and kept an eye on me. In retrospect I should have left the pack after I fell. Oh well, live and learn.

I was still a bit scrambled until the next day. Granted, it wasn't the smoothest extraction but still worth it.
    Surprisingly the old warrior was pretty darn good eating.

Every time I look at him I think of that big 7x7 and that nasty pack out.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

The "Pack Out"...
    Boy, I have a couple of stories...not long ones...but where I damn near lost my life trying to cross rivers where I had no business being, with heavy packs full of game meat, and damn near drowning or breaking legs in between the boulders in over waist deep water.
    Forget about worrying bout Gbears showing up!...theres a lot to stories after the animal drops for sure.
    Last edited by Bugle M In; 12-28-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Jeezuz! Ya gotta love the "pack so heavy no one should be carrying it" stories. Hard as hell doing it, but the best stories to tell once your done! Great story.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Jeezuz! Ya gotta love the "pack so heavy no one should be carrying it" stories. Hard as hell doing it, but the best stories to tell once your done! Great story.
    It's a love hate experience for sure.
    But Nothing feels better than getting that weight off your back at the end of the day.
    Never more than that particular trip.