Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: An Elk Hunt With Me

Re: An Elk Hunt With Me

Great write up and awesome elk!

Tremendous elk..and exellent write up....the mass and tops are impressive indeed but so is the chunky monkey body..
    Well done and told..thank you.
    Steven

Excellent. Thanks. I agree more stories from the field might revive HBC.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Great bull thanks for the story. It is stories like this that make one come back to this site, not all the bitching and whining that seems to have taken over this site, oh and your Chasing Whities thread is one of the best, keep up the good work. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS you deserve it

At Up hill he was a gone'er .. Especially 2+km away... Dad shot a moose once, they tracked it hard. They found it the next year over the top. He went up, they searched up but not enough. Didn't have blood.
    You put in a great effort. Im sure that bull is still moving today.... I have lost one animal myself, it has made me very nervous every time I go look for what I shot... Still today. And that was maybe close to 10 years ago.

Beauty Bull....

Thumbs up Re: An Elk Hunt With Me

Many Thanks Ourea!
    Tremendous Bull, and a fine story that goes with.
    Made my morning.

Many Thanks for the share. Certainly a breath of fresh air amongst the political stank these days!
    Guess I should get on with penning one soon myself...

Cheers & Congrats!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Awesome read for the drive into work today!

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    At Up hill he was a gone'er .. Especially 2+km away... Dad shot a moose once, they tracked it hard. They found it the next year over the top. He went up, they searched up but not enough. Didn't have blood.
    You put in a great effort. Im sure that bull is still moving today.... I have lost one animal myself, it has made me very nervous every time I go look for what I shot... Still today. And that was maybe close to 10 years ago.

Beauty Bull....
    I know that most people say that once you hit an animal, it goes "downhill"...
    which is very true and sound advice...but....I have seen animal, that was hit, that did expire,
    but had gone uphill!
    It can happen, and only pass it along as a thought when the blood trail runs out, or is non existent, that people
    don't just assume to give up when all the "downhill" options have run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I know that most people say that once you hit an animal, it goes "downhill"...
    which is very true and sound advice...but....I have seen animal, that was hit, that did expire,
    but had gone uphill!
    It can happen, and only pass it along as a thought when the blood trail runs out, or is non existent, that people
    don't just assume to give up when all the "downhill" options have run out.
    It is any and all hunters obligation to make all reasonable efforts to find their wounded animal.
    I get annoyed when I hear stories of a hunter taking a shot, pretty sure they hit it, take a peak and abandon their search in minutes.

I spent the better part of two full days looking for that elk.
    I am reasonably sure that this bull survived seeing the distance, elevation and time he carried on after being shot.

Message being, search to the best of your ability once you have hit an animal.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    It is any and all hunters obligation to make all reasonable efforts to find their wounded animal.
    I get annoyed when I hear stories of a hunter taking a shot, pretty sure they hit it, take a peak and abandon their search in minutes.

I spent the better part of two full days looking for that elk.
    I am reasonably sure that this bull survived seeing the distance, elevation and time he carried on after being shot.

Message being, search to the best of your ability once you have hit an animal.
    Yup, been there, done that...it happens, no matter how long we have been at it.
    And yes, everyone needs to do everything they can to find it, or exhaust all possibilities.
    I know one time I lost an elk, blood trail ran out...spent 2 days looking, but never got closer to figuring it out.
    Then, while leaving on the last night, just before dark, after a week long hunt to go home, I saw some ravens.
    Made me sick....but I knew I tried....
    All I could do at that point was to "report it".
    But then there have been times where I thought maybe the animal was missed, and got away, only to find out that
    it was down.....you have to try, we owe it to that animal we have tried to harvest.