Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An Elk Hunt With Me

Re: An Elk Hunt With Me

I picked up from where I had riboned the last bit of blood from yesterday. We tracked him slowly, sign and blood were getting tougher to find. We were probably averaging a hundred yards an hour. As hope was getting thin I found a bed, a bed with some blood in it, very little however.Over the next several hours I had found where he rebedded three times. Each bed had less and less blood. I could see where he had bailed over the ridge and onto a main elk trail. This is where the blood stopped. We were a good couple kilometers away from the initial shot and a solid 800ft in elevation higher. I had to reluctantly accept this bull has been lost. I was sick to my stomach over the fact.

My friend knew I was pissed so there was little conversation on our way off the ridge. On the hike out I went back to the location where the bull was standing when he got hit. I stood there and looked across the draw to the tree I braced on for the shot. I then threw the binos up to see the exact shooting lane. I was so confident in my shot I couldn’t understand how this bull survived. As I glassed the shooting tree that was aprox 150 yards away my heart sank. I could see tips of some dead trees that were in the shooting lane hallway between from where I shot to the elk. Looks like I probably clipped some wood.
    As annoyed as I was I was starting to feel better knowing that the bull had a very good chance of survival. Despite being very discouraged I would come back with Elk-Aholic for the last and final day of elk season. All night I kept playing the shooting scenario over and over again. I had my fingers crossed we could get into elk tomorrow but realized we had stirred the area up pretty good so odds were way down.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Awesome story so far...just what we need after the last couple of days. Thanks Ourea!
    Live to Hunt...

Popcorn???
    Heck, I just brought out the single malt!....
    I don't care when the next read comes up...I have a lot of Scotch to tie me over til it does arrive!!

The anticipation is killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybc View Post
    The anticipation is killing me!
    Just wait Jimmy U will like the outcome
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Oct 20th, Day 3

Elk-Aholic and I had an early start and were in for first light. Day 3 started uneventful, no elk seen, no elk heard. We kept working our way up the hill checking the draws, no new sign. We worked our way up to the last ridge, the same ridge I had shot from. It was now 10am, the weather is clearing and still no elk. What the heck, I broke out my bugle, took off my pack and gave a rip. Nothing, Couple more bugles and some cow calls, nothing.
    A few minutes later we get a low moan from the draw below. More calling with no response. A few minutes later another groan. Quick chat with elk-aholic and a plan is hatched. I send him off the ridge and tell him to call every few minutes and I will try and locate the bull and sneak in on him for a shot.

We get another low soft groan and it is definitely closer. Sure enough the bull is going down the same draw as the herd did two days previously. He cut up the bank in front of me the same as before. Knowing the shooting obstacle that cost me a bull two days earlier, a quick relocation put me in the clear. He moved out of the timber on the far bank and stopped to look back at what bull was giving him grief. He looked exhausted, quite lethargic. Settled the cross hairs on him and squeezed.

He dropped instantly.
    Bull down!

I kept the gun on him, saw a little life still so I squeezed again.

Dead bull, and a good one.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Crown + Coke time
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

I grabbed my brass, got organised and waited for Elk-Aholic.
    He asked, is he down?
    Yes he is I said, dead on the bank.

We crossed the draw and approached the bull. He was weathered, run down with his ribs showing.
    We have killed numerous big bulls over the years but the size of the body on this beast was huge. He had to have been a warrior gauging from scars on his face, split ear and some serious puncture wounds in his hinds.

He was a bit busted up and didn't have great beam length but had tremendous tine length plus some JUNK!
    This was going to be one hell of a pack, biggest bodied bull I have been in on.

I am not too big on pictures but we snapped a few and got to work. It was going to be a very long day to get him packed out by dark.

Here he is.
    Bit short on the beams and his front end is missing several inches across the board being broken off.
    Note the mass of the body, he was as big bodied as an elk gets.

Decent bull for sure.

Back from the taxidermist getting ready to put up at my office building.